A Traitor, a Major General, and a Really Bossy and Rude Dude

“How dare you call upon us after Monmouth?” Connor demands at Washington as we approach him at the small fort on the edge of New York a few days later.

“I have nobody else to turn to,” Washington complains calmly as he looks up from the maps he was leaning over. “The Culper Ring informed me that WestPoint’s been infiltrated. I believe they intend to murder Major General Benedict Arnold.”

“I still do not see why you need us,” Connor says a bit calmer this time as he paces slowly from side to side before the Commander.

“The loss of such a figure would be devastating to the cause,” Washington replies. “It must be done without my soldiers' knowledge. The mere idea of the Patriots being breached would be crippling to morale, to the war. Will you two do it?”

“It will be done,” Connor says bluntly.

“Fine,” I say rolling my eyes as I cross my arms over my chest. “But just to let you know, Commander, you’re blind to the true traitor here?”

“Am I?” the Commander asks raising an eye brow at me.

“This ‘spy,’” I use air quotations. “is a set up. Arnold is the real traitor you have to be looking out for.”

Washington shakes his head grinning lightly before speaking to me as if I’m a naive little kid. “I highly doubt that, Riley. Major General Arnold has been a loyal asset to the war ever since he took this position.”

I roll my eyes again. “You’ll see that I’m right.” I then turn away and walk in the direction of WestPoint.

As I walk, I hear Connor snarl to Washington, “We will do this. But never call on us again.”

“Riley, I highly doubt that Major General Arnold is a Loyalist, or at least betraying his country,” Connor says to me as we walk towards WestPoint on foot.

“Aww, really?” I ask using my annoyed and whiny voice. I roll my eyes and groan in frustration. “You don’t believe me either. Of all people I would expect that you would!”

“I think your dreams were wrong about this,” Connor says calmly. “You are still trying to figure out what is real and what is in your dreams.”

I stop in my tracks and turn to look at him. He stops too and looks at me. “Have I been wrong yet?” I ask him glaring into his full golden brown eyes. I force myself not to smile as I feel a pool of warmth fill my stomach. He’s just so darn cute!  

“No,” he mumbles looking down at his feet in shame. I give in and smile while he’s not looking before putting my straight face back on.

“Was I wrong about Biddle?” I ask Connor putting my hands on my hips.

“No.”

“Have I been wrong at all the past year I’ve been here?”

“No.”

“So there’s a pretty good chance I’m right about this, right?

“Yes,” Connor says as he looks up.

“Don’t accuse him yet,” I say calmly. “Just at least keep an eye out for him.”

Connor nods before we continue on. It doesn’t take us too long to get to WestPoint which is by the ocean on the western side of New York on a high cliff surrounded by sharp rocks and killer waves.

“This fort is where they train the soldiers,” I say to Connor as we enter through the open gates of the fort. “But we have to do this without being seen.”