The Green Mile, a Really Long Rope, and a Double Take

Forever and always. Together forever. It is all over now. I lost the only thing I care about in this world. The only thing I fight for. Gone…

"Up! Up with ya!"

There is a painful stab in my side as a guard's boot comes in contact with my right rib cage. I groan and wince a bit as I roll over and curl up on my side and watch the world come back into focus. There are two guards in the room with muskets and a rope.

"I said get up!" the guard that kicked me awake is pulling me from the ground where I lay next to my bed. Why do I always wake up on the floor? "Walk." The guard shoves me forward out of my cell and down the hallway. I do not fight them as they shove me down the hall.

"Bye, now!" A prisoner laughs and waves at me from behind the bars of his cell as I pass him.

I keep my eyes forward and pay no attention to the guards behind me or the prisoners on either side laughing and scoffing at me. The two men throw me into a wooden cart before getting in and sitting on either side of me on benches inside the small cart. I figure this is how they will transfer me to the court room for my trial.

I have no way of moving much, because they tied my hands behind my back before loading me in here like livestock before the slaughtering.

I rest my head on the dirty wooden floor of the cart and close my eyes. This is it. I have failed. Riley is gone, Washington will die, and the Templars will take control once again. It is over…

When the cart stops, the guards grab me and toss me out of the back of the prison cart and into the wet streets of New York. I land on my side when tossed carelessly out of the cart so now I have a new bruise up my right arm and hip. Just great… There IS a heavy drizzle of rain that quickly soaks my body. But it feels good on my hot dirty skin after two days of being stuck in small smelly prison cell.

Suddenly, I hear another pair of boots and Thomas Hickey comes into my lovely view from the ground.

"Ello, Connor," He says cheerfully as he pulls me to my feet. "Didn't think I'd miss your goin' away party, did ya? I hear Washington 'imself will be in attendance. Hope nuttin' bad 'appens to him." Hickey grins evilly as I do not bother to look at him again. I am too angry and confused for that.

"You said there'd be a trial!" I say quickly realizing that we are already at the gallows site.

"Ah, no trials for Traitors, I'm afraid. Lee an' Haytham saw to that. It's straight to the gallows for you!"

I exhale. I have failed. I have lost everything I fought so hard to keep. What do I have left to fight for… RILEY! What am I saying?! Riley would never forgive me if I gave up without a fight. No. I will not bow. I will not break, for Riley.

I turn my head to look at Hickey as I say, "I will not die today. The same cannot be said for you."

"That's enough! Keep moving!" Hickey has a scared and uneasy look on his face after I say this. I let a grin form on my lips as I am shoved forward by a soldier and forced to walk towards a large crowd of people.

Hickey and another soldier hold muskets behind me as I walk through a very loud crowd. Some are calling out saying that this is wrong and I am just a boy. Others are shouting curses and spitting on me as I pass them.

I ignore all of these things as I try and focus on Riley's face and walking my green mile. Is that what she called it? Riley once talked about your last mile being your green mile. I suppose this is mine. And I will be walking it alone.