A Bossy Father, a Chase, and a Really Cute Officer

It’s dark. It’s cold. It’s wet. It’s rainy. Why are we out here again?

Haytham and some guy are standing outside of Fort George talking about something that’s making Haytham irritated at the man.

When Connor and I approach, he holds his hand out for us to wait.

“We need to know what the Loyalists are planning if we're to put an end to this,” Haytham says in an annoyed tone to the man in the long coat and hat.

“I’ve tried!” the man protests. “But the soldiers themselves are told nothing now - only to await orders from above.”

“Then keep digging,” Haytham snaps. “Come find me when you have something worth sharing.”

Then the informant nods and quickly leaves our sight.

Connor and I walk up to Haytham as he says confidently, “We're so close to victory. A few more well-placed attacks and we'll be able to put an end to this civil war and be rid of the Crown.”

“What do you intend?” I ask.

“Well nothing at the moment - since we're completely in the dark,” Haytham replies as if giving an excuse.

“I thought the Templars had eyes and ears everywhere,” Connor says.

“Oh, we did,” Haytham replies sounding annoyed. “Until you two started cutting them off.”

I grin as I cross my arms over my chest. “And proud of it,” I add sarcastically. Haytham turns and narrows his eyes at me.  I simply smile back.

“Your contact said orders from above,” Connor says, breaking the tension. “It tells us exactly what we need to do: track down the Loyalist commanders.”

“Ooh, he’s smarter that you ever were,” I mumble and Haytham glares at me as Connor bites back a smile.

-@-

My hands slip from the ledge I hang on because of the freaking abundance of cold water running everywhere and falling from the dark sky above our heads.

The three of us are climbing up the walls and remains of the buildings charred, burned, and destroyed in the Great Fire that burned through a good portion of New York only a few weeks ago.

“Can’t we come back when it’s not cold and rainy and dark?” I complain as I hoist myself over a ledge.

“No,” Haytham snaps from above me.

“Ooh, somebody missed their nap!” I call back and receive a splash of cold water that slides down my back. “Ooh, that was cold, Haytham!”

After a few more minutes of silent climbing, we finally make it to the meeting which has already begun. The several officers in the remains of the Trinity Church are standing in small groups huddled together as they speak to one another. We jump to a ledge right above them and crouch down to watch and listen.

“Haytham, scoot your butt,” I mutter as I squeeze between him and Connor.

Haytham groans in annoyance as he moves more to the right for me. “Is this how people talk to one another in your time?” he mumbles to me.

“It’s much worse,” I reply. “I’m being nice today.” I hear Connor chuckle before we all lean forward slightly and listen to the conversations.

“Have you considered the proposal?” an officer asks another.

“I'm unconvinced,” the other replies. “To reinforce them would leave New York exposed. It's hard enough maintaining order with our current numbers. Cut in half...”