A Conversation Not Meant to be Heard, a Broken knife, and a Couple Explosions

A Conversation Not Meant to be Heard, a Broken Knife, and a Couple Explosions

Connor and I have reunited with his father. Such an unlikely alliance, if you ask me. But we don't know if this bodes well or ill. Well, I do. Our goals are aligned, at least so far as independence is concerned. But he continues to defend Charles Lee- the man that shot Connor and almost killed his son's mother. Still, he makes a point about Washington and those who back him. We hear much talk of freedom and equality, but it seems one must be a landed white man to benefit. What of someone like Connor? Or Surry? What role for them in this new world? Is Haytham right, then? There is so much Connor and I must consider and so little time to do it...

"Riley, I am nervous," Connor says to me as we approach the manor.

We just got back from Martinique and delivering the supplies to Valley Forge and dropping off Haytham in New York. Now, back in our robes, we walk hand in hand into the manor.

"Don't be, it's just Achilles," I say to Connor glancing up at him.

"That is what I am afraid of. What if he does not accept my apology?" 

"He will," I say confidently. "Achilles thinks of you as a son and wants the best for you." I pause for a moment to catch Connor's eye. "And he's very proud of you." I smile up at him as I give his hand a reassuring squeeze.  He gives me a small smile in return. Then releases my hand and walks into Achilles' study.

I make Connor think I've gone up the stairs into my bedroom when he enters the study. But I really put my back against the outer wall of the room and slowly slide down to sit on the ground with my knees hugged to my chest as I listen to the conversation I've heard countless times already.

Connor knocks lightly on the door glancing at Achilles who is writing at his desk.

Achilles looks up at him then looks back at his writing as he says, "Welcome back. And how was Martinique?"

Connor doesn't answer the question. He jumps right into what he's wanted to say to Achilles for almost two months. "Achilles... I... I owe you an apology..." Achilles waves off Connor's words as to say 'it's no big deal.' But Connor persists. "It was wrong of me to say the things I did..."

Achilles sighs as he looks up at Connor. "Your words were harsh, Connor, but there was also truth there. I failed the Order. Allowed the Templars to take control..."

"But now their hold is weakened, which makes me believe there's a chance for peace," Connor says hopefully. "Imagine what might be accomplished if we were to unite."

"What the change of heart?" Achilles asks looking up from his desk. "Where is this coming from?" Connor says nothing as he walks around the room trying to hide his face. "You've met your father, haven't you?"

Connor doesn't deny it as he turns back around to face Achilles. "I do not claim to trust the man - or even like him. But I would be remiss to ignore this opportunity."

"Haytham my listen," Achilles sighs again. "But will he understand? And even if he does, will he agree?"

"Even he must admit that the three of us achieve more together than we do alone."

"Why must you take Riley into this?" Achilles asks. "She's just a child being dragged into a war that is going out of control and one she did not ask for. This is not a life she deserves."

"What am I to do?" Connor asks. "Leave her here and make her mope around while I fight for something we started together? She did not ask for it, but she is a reason for it." I bite my lip as I close my eyes trying to fight back the tears. Yes, I did ignite this revolution but not in the way I had planned. I did not want to get up in front of the Boston Massacre and say that speech. It was something I knew had to be said to a bunch of colonists who had no hope until now...