A Mix Up, a Beating, and an Unlikely Alliance

"Not who you were expecting, am I right?" Haytham looks at me in shock when he sees my grinning face and blond hair instead of Connor's dark tan skin and raven black hair. He was meant to ambush Connor and tackle him to the floor. Not me.

"You," Haytham snarls from on top of me. I simply grin back.

"You should know that I'm the one with the black robes and Connor's got the white. Try not to get us mixed up, K?" Haytham looks at me confused. "And... you might wanna get of me before you get your head blown off."

We hear the clicking sound of a gun. "Off of her."

Haytham slowly stands up and steps away from me. I see Connor pointing his gun at his father with a glare on his face.

"Come to check up on Church?" Connor snarls. "Make sure he'd stolen enough for your British brothers?"

"Benjamin Church is no brother of mine," Haytham spat back. "No more than the Redcoats or their idiot king. I expected naiveté. But this..." Haytham pauses for a moment and sighs before continuing. "The Templars do not fight for the crown. We seek the same as you two, boy! Freedom. Justice. Independence. "

"But..." Connor begins.

"Hmmm! But what?"

Connor points a finger at his father. "Johnson. Pitcairn. Hickey. They sought to steal land. To sack towns. To murder George Washington."

Haytham sighs again. "Johnson sought to own the land that we might keep it safe. Pitcairn aimed to encourage diplomacy - which you two cocked up thoroughly enough to start a god-damned war! And Hickey? George Washington is a wretched leader. He's lost nearly every battle in which he's taken part. The man's wracked with uncertainty and insecurity. Only look at Valley Forge to know my words are true. We're all better off without him." Haytham pauses for a minute and looks around at both of us and heaves a heavy sigh again. "Look, as much as I'd love to spar with you two, Benjamin Church's mouth is as big as his ego. You two clearly want the supplies he's stolen, I want him punished. Our interests are aligned."

Connor says nothing for a moment before looking up to speak. "What do you propose?"

"A truce," Haytham replies. "Perhaps... perhaps some time together might do us good. You are my son, after all, and might still be saved from your ignorance." Connor rolls his eyes and I inwardly grin. Then Haytham unsheathes his hidden blade. "I can kill you two now if you'd prefer?" We say nothing. "Excellent! Shall we be off?"

Haytham begins to walk out of the church until Connor stops him. "Do you even know where Benjamin Church has gone?" Connor walks slowly towards him and clasps his hands behind his back exactly like his father always does. I try my best to hide my smile. Like father like son.

Haytham sighs, frustrated. "I'm afraid not. I'd hoped to ambush him when he or one of his men returned here. It seems I'm too late. They've come and cleared the place out."

We all look outside where there are broken bits of barrels and carts and remains of boot prints in the snow.

"We may be able to track him," I say. "But first..." I turn to Haytham and hold out my hand. "Cough it up."

"What?" Haytham asks looking offended.

"My amulet, cough it up."

"And why would I do that?" he asks defensively.

"Because I can give you all the answers you want, about everything." I give him an evil grin.

He grumbles for a moment before he proceeds to pull a long red cord from his neck. When he hands it to me I say, "And for the record, he gets his ignorance from you." Buuuuurrrrrnnnn! I got him good! Like a boss!  I've always wanted to tell him that!