~ conversation ~

The hospital is only letting my mom stay the entire night I have to leave at ten which is what it will be in about two minutes. I start gathering my things leaving the lucky green car from my keychain on the table beside Milo's bed.

"It's ten already?" my mom asks when she sees me putting the car down. Her voice is still hoarse from crying, mines probably is too.

"Yup." Just as I suspected my voice sounds horrible too.

"Here are the car keys, pick me up at ten and bring a change of clothes please." She sounds so tired, so defeated the sound alone makes my eyes water again I hurry and hug her before the tears show up so I won't upset her and then I kiss Milo's forehead, he's been asleep for hours. His treatment starts tomorrow at six in the morning and I can't even be here. The doctors were beyond upset that my mom snuck me back there and they'd threatened to shorten her visiting hours if she did it again, so I'm stuck. I have to wait for them to say its okay before I can see him. Dr. Harris only let me stay for this long because of the news we got today just the thought sends the tears I'd been holding in skip down my cheeks, this wasn't supposed to happen to him. Once I make it to the parking lot I start my search for my mother's car, I can't remember when we parked earlier.

"Cypress?" I hear from behind. I turn and spot the source standing under a lamp near the hospital entrance in a bright orange shirt. He looks both ways before stepping out into the parking lot, my deceiving little mind turning his eyes red every time the light hits them.

"Grey? What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Yeah, but I asked you first."

"Touché," he smiles, "I am a volunteer here, your turn." I take a deep breath before answering.

"My little brother Milo." His smile fades instantly.

"Is this his first time here?"

"No, it's his second."

"Do you want to tell me about him?" I look between him and the car that's now magically in front of me before nodding my head. As much as I'd like to go home I know the only thing I'll do there is cry in silence and think about the fact that Milo is dying at least with Grey it won't be so silent.

"This is my car, we can sit on the hood if you want." Instead of verbally answering him I slide onto the hood of the little silver car.

"How old is he?" Grey asks after a few minutes.

"Ten. Do you volunteer for kids with leukemia?"

"Huh?"

"Your shirt, its orange the color for leukemia awareness."

"Oh yeah, is that what Milo has?"

"Yup."

"Maybe I'll get to meet him one day, does he look like you?"

"God yes," I laugh a little and it feels like such a relief, "from the big eyes to the curly hair." The kid really does look like me.

"I can tell you love him a lot."

"More than a lot. You know, when he was in first grade his class had a show and tell and he asked me to go to school with him. I had no idea why he'd bought me there until he stood in front of his entire class and told them that I was a superhero, I don't think I've ever been happier in my life." Tears painted the color of nightmares fall from my eyes and I turn away from him, I don't want him to see me cry, I don't even know him.

"You don't have to hide your tears from me Cypress, I understand."

"You're the kindest mean person I've ever met." I say looking him in the eyes. He lets out a small laugh covering his mouth.

"What should I say to that?" he asks a smile still gracing his handsome face.

"Whatever you want to." He looks away for a few seconds deep in thought before he turns back to me.

"Thank you for making me want to be kind." We sat there for a few seconds staring into each others eyes I look away. Clearing my throat I hop off the car with a huff and dust myself off.

"I have to go."

"Oh of course, um, the last time I saw you I forgot to ask but can I have your number?" the pink color spreading across his cheeks decides my answer for me.

"Sure." He passes me his flashy phone and I put in my number.

"I'll see you later Cypress."

"We'll see." I smile and wave him goodbye. He's still standing in front of his car as I pull away I watch him until I have to look into the street to make sure no cars are coming but when I look back up he's no longer there. 

Don't forget to vote and comment