~ The start~

[1]

"Cypress, there's a commotion out front, go check it out." My boss, Ernie, demands as he sinks back into his dark office.

"Sure thing." I bite out sarcastically. I honestly disliked that man, he set new levels to laziness and asshole. All he does is sit in his pitch black office drinking whiskey and ordering me to do everything he's supposed to be doing around this small restaurant. You'd think that he'd want to do things himself since his late father left it to him but no he just sits there.

"Now!" he shouts.

I hurriedly make my way to the front of the restaurant in search of the "commotion". I spot a woman near the big picture window trying to calm two wailing infants.

"Oh no," without thinking twice I rush over to her hoping she'll let me hold one, "how can I help, would you like for me to hold one of them?" I cross my fingers for good measure.

"Oh yes, thank you so much." She passes me one of the twins and I squeal on the inside, what can I say I love babies. Cradling the little boy in my arms I rock back and forth singing a Coldplay song to him. His little green beanie is barely on his head showing off his mess of bright red hair. His chubby cheeks are still pink but he's stopped crying along with his much, much smaller sister.

"I'm Cy, by the way."

"Pepsi." She beams and for a second I think she's ordering a drink.

"Excuse me?"

"My name is Pepsi, Pepsi Dodson." She clarifies, laying the little girl in the double stroller that's pushed up against the table. I immediately but also kind of reluctantly hand her the sleeping boy that's nestled in my arms.

"What are their names?"

"Samuel and Samantha, their father named them, he isn't that creative." She laughs. Before I can say anything in response Ernie's annoying voice is in my ear.

"Cypress, they need you in the kitchen stat." he moves closer as he says each word his beer belly knocking against my elbow.

"What happened?"

"How am I supposed to know you idiot." He stomps away disappearing behind the plastic double doors.

"Can I get you anything?" I ask the brown haired woman in front of me whose face is now contorted in disgust.

"Does he speak to you like that all the time?"

"You kind of get used to it, so, can I get you something?"

"No thank you Cy, I'm waiting for my husband to get here before I order." I nod my head saying bye to her and the babies before hurrying to the kitchen. I've been working at Captain's since I was eighteen years old and I've wanted to quit since. I'd been interviewed by a woman named Julia Greene, she was extremely nice and inviting so I looked forward to that kind of environment but it was anything but. I had no idea that it was owned by Ernie Wallace until two weeks later when he stormed in demanding for me to hand wash the tie he'd thrown up on while drinking and driving. I wanted to quit right then and there but that was the same day I found out my little brother, Milo, had cancer and we had no idea if we'd have to pay the medical bills ourselves. Unfortunately, we did and that is why I'm still here walking through the double doors that lead to the kitchen. I hated this place but no one else would hire me, I've tried over and over again.

"Cypress, get your ass over here now." Ernie says as if he's talking to a child that can't quite understand simple words. He's pointing to a spot a few inches in front of him and I make my way over catching the eye of a few of my coworkers.

"Yes Ernie." I say as sweetly as possible trough gritted teeth.

"Clean this up, now!" he points to a broken mug on the floor. Seriously?! I look up at the other workers scurrying around the kitchen shooting me glances that clearly tell me they tried to pick it up but he wouldn't let them. I honestly don't know what I did for him to hate me so much. I grab the four pieces of porcelain off the tile floor and throw them into the trash before heading back into the main area.

"Don't go back to that table, I've assigned it to Kailee, no friends for you." Ernie adds as I walk out of the big plastic doors. Fifteen minutes into taking and delivering orders I hear my name being called from across the restaurant. I see Pepsi waving me over, I check the perimeter for Ernie before walking to her table. She'd been joined by a tall man with the same hair as the twins dressed in a suit and carrying a sleek briefcase about fifteen minutes ago and I automatically knew it was her husband.

"How can I help you?"

"Cy, this is my husband, Ashton Dodson and we actually wanted to help you." They smile up at me.

"Excuse me, I mean, hello I'm Cy." I stretch my hand out.

"It's nice to meet you Cy, thank you for helping Pepsi with the twins earlier I really appreciate it but, what my wife is trying to say is, we'd like to offer you a job."

"A job?"

"Yes," Pepsi answers, " we're both lawyers, Ashton is actually the best defense attorney in Los Angeles, so needless to say we aren't home much and my maternity leave is nearly over so we'll need a babysitter for the twins, we have two sets. We have the little ones and our boys, Preston and Peyton, they're thirteen. It's fifty dollars an hour and extra for anything else we might need you to do like accompanying the boys on fieldtrips and things like that." They continue beaming me, Pepsi with her fingers visibly crossed. I can feel my mouth open then close but no words come out. Just then I hear those plastic doors bang open. My decision and realizing its Ernie happen simultaneously.

"Cy-"

"I quit." His eyes go wide as I take the ugly brown vest off. He huffs fixing his mouth to say something but thinks better of it and stomps back into the kitchen. Turning back to the still beaming couple I say,

"Yes, I'll take the job."

***

I need a song for this chapter any suggestions...

Also, the chapter is dedicated to my favorite person on Wattpad lol!!

Remember to vote