Chapter 38 - Big Apple

Start from the beginning

Between meetings and conference calls, I was able to have a serious conversation with Derek about how he fucked up on the figures with the sub-contractor in Houston. I don't really care if his AP Leader was responsible for the mess; Derek is the manager and he is supposed to double check the data before it gets to me, so how he wants to deal with his guy is not really my problem, but this had better not happen again.

Then I also had this tricky and sensitive conversation with Devon about a proper look. I am not asking him to look like a model coming straight from GQ or to wear 5000 dollar business suits, but as a representative of the company, meeting with customers at times and being a member of the high level management, he should at least be clean... I mean it is a question of hygiene. Anyone should understand that and it is also a question of respect toward the people who work with you. I called my diplomatic self and all in all, it went fast and well.

Another bright moment of the week was when I visited Ally on Tuesday after a business lunch and it was really good to see her again. She looked awfully tired after all the stress caused by Sun's heart problems and the operation, but she is looking forward to going back home with her baby. It was nice to see a different Ally than the one I know. As my personal assistant, she is a very strong-willed person, with a determined and strong character; she doesn't let herself be walked over and most of the time, she gets things her own way. She doesn't get easily impressed and as a full member of the leadership team, she doesn't let anyone belittle her; not that anyone would dare to anyway... She is straightforward and never minces her words.

But the Ally I saw at the hospital was a totally new person. She was cuddling with Sun when I got there and the way she looked at him, talked to him and cradled him was just amazing. The baby looked peaceful and although he is only a newborn, he seemed to be in awe with his mother. I have never been attracted to babies or kids in general and I can't say that Sun was a revelation for me either, but I have to admit that he is really cute.

"Are you intending to send this email or will you just keep on reading and rereading it over and over again?" Liam asks softly with a chuckle, bringing me out of my reverie.

"I might read it once again indeed..." I reply sarcastically, though I actually do read it one last time before I send it. "Are you ready to go?" I ask as I pack up.

"Yes, I'm ready..." We both take the private elevator and as soon as the doors have shut, I am all over him, devouring his lips and pinning him against the wall. "Joshua... stop... Tony might..." Liam begs, trying to pull on my wrists as my hands are cupping his angel face.

"He can't... already in the car..." I whisper though our kiss. "And I've been craving for this kiss all afternoon long..." I finally add, pulling away from him as we are about to land on the ground floor. We both quickly recover our casual expressions, but Liam's lips are prettily swollen.

"You could have asked..." he says smugly as the doors reopen and I chuckle at his own sarcasm as we step out, keeping enough distance between us as we walk across the hall in case we would meet other collaborators.

"Mr. Pierce!" someone calls as we are about to get out of the building. Argh... "Have you received my email about the overdues from this Client in Florida?" Dominic Parson asks as he reaches. I not only notice how Liam slightly tenses when he sees him, but also Dominic's nasty expression.

"Have a good week-end, Mr. Pierce," Liam mumbles before he turns around and walks out. Seeing that it is only 3:30 in the afternoon, I had hoped that we wouldn't meet anyone here and that he would hop straight in the car rather than play this whole masquerade again about waiting for us on North Canal Street.

"Have a good week-end too, Liam" I call out, turning back to Dominic who is staring at the watch on his wrist.

"Wow... I'd love to become an intern again and be able to leave at 3 on a Friday..." he sneers. So that's why he was glowering at Liam a few seconds ago?