Bonus Chapter: For the First Time (Part II)

Start from the beginning

He sure is quick to hide his shyness.

A wheezing resounds but I initially find nothing. I look closely and see a yorkshire terrior dog snoring peacefully on a small-circular carpet at the corner. The hair of his whisker blow softly with each inhalation and exhalation.

"That's Jackie, our dog and the only brown haired specimen in the family," Allison says as Jackie turns from lying on stomach to rolling on his back

"Well, Jackie's sure a heavy sleeper," I say as I tilt my head to the side while looking at the little dog on his brown circular carpet. I guess that's why I didn't notice him before since his fur is also of the same colour.

"Just give him a favourite spot in the house and he's a goner," Ethan says as his eyes twinkle with fondness for the dog. I think I could also see a glimmer of the same child-like passion the triplets have.

"Do you have a pet, Lindsey?" Allison says, withdrawing my attetion from the dog.

"Dylan gifted me a dog for my ninth birthday: a King Charles Spaniel whom I named Gem. And as usual, he gave me his present through Ms Bragge, rather than himself," I say as both of the cousins' expressions fall for a moment before being cloaked again by smiles.

I really liked Gem; she was the best gift I ever got, apart from the keys to the attic. I always got gifts from Ms Bragge, Dylan and even Alfred on birthdays and other occasions. I loved the gifts Ms Bragge and Alfred gave me, but Dylan's felt merely like an obligation: a need to do something, anything brotherly. His gifts kept on piling up in the lowest drawer of my wardrobe. That is, except for Gem and the keys.

"Why Gem? I mean- that isn't exactly what I thought you'd name a dog." Ethan asks he looks over at Jackie.

"Gem rhymes with Jenn, my mum's nickname."

I don't think that it was a coincidence that Dylan bought a King Charles Spaniel, either. Charles was Dad's name and I wanted my dog's name to be something relating to that, a knot that tied all the strings together.

I remember Gem had beautiful brown fur covering her ears and back and a white coat of hair sprawled against her body. She had eyes so big that they could suck you in and not to mention, a tongue that used to have a licking parade whenever you came in close vicinity.

 She had eyes so big that they could suck you in and not to mention, a tongue that used to have a licking parade whenever you came in close vicinity