Epilogue

You know I never thought I'd get to where I am now. I never thought I'd know what happiness truly was because no one really showed it to me. I always thought that my fate was to live a tortured existence but after meeting Joshua I realize that wasn't true at all.

I never knew how much the abuse had really affected me until a few months later. After graduation we both got accepted to UCLA. We happened to be very fortunate and were roommates but that meant he saw everything. The nightmares and night terrors seemed more frequent than before. I would wake up, my eyes wet and body shaking only to have him sooth me back to sleep. He never complained, never got upset when my dreams would keep us both awake on days when we had test and that only made me love him more.

"Are you ready?" Joshua asked, standing in front of me.

I nodded at him, confused as to where we were going. He last minute decided he wanted to go out. Currently we were roaming were roaming around going from store to store but now he was ready to go. We made our way out the mall. We approached the dorms and once we got there, there was a large crowd.

Confused as to what was going on I got out the car and made my way to them trying to peak over shoulders to see what was happening. I looked back to see Joshua had completely disappeared. I tried to back away from the crowd to look for him but a few people grabbed me, passing me from person to person until I was in the center of the circle. It was larger than I realized. Our friends and some family including Tony and Casey were in the inner circle.

Then all of a sudden I heard singing and a guitar as the crowd began to part for someone.

"Wise men say only fools rush in

But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay

Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you

For I can't help falling in love with you"

Joshua finished off the last words of the song, his voice rich and beautiful. I didn't even know he could sing. Someone threw rose petals above us but I barely noticed as he got down on one knee and grabbed my hand while pulling out a shining ring.

"I know our life together has been anything but perfect. I know that I'm not perfect and you're not perfect but nothing really is. The closest thing to perfect that I know, is the way I feel whenever I'm around you. I'm so glad that, that cheesy pick up line I told you worked because without it I wouldn't have known you were the peanut butter to my jelly, the syrup to my pancakes, and the butter to my bread. I love you more than life itself and if there was one person I could choose to spend my life with, it is definitely you. So will you make me the proudest man in the world, will you marry me Cameron Daniel Silverstone?"

I was completely stunned. I didn't know if I should cry, scream, dance, or do all three. In that moment though, as I looked into Joshua's eyes and stared back into mine. I knew. He was mine and I was his.

"Yes."