Chapter 19: Cammie?

"Grab your things, we're releasing you."

I nodded at the guard and went back to my room, grabbing the only belonging I had. A card from Caesar, made in the art class they allowed us to participate in. It wasn't the prettiest card and definitely close to the work of a 7 year old but it was the thought that counted. Stickers spelled out the words Glad You Can Talk with a little congratulations scribbled on the inside.

It had been two weeks since the day I had decided to tell Dr. Anderson the truth, it was that very day that I had attempted to talk to anyone really. In the short span of a week I had come to know more about him. He was the middle child of seven, he had two dogs named Lala and Twirls. He liked strawberry ice cream but only if it had hot Cheetos in it and his favorite color is combination is rainbow.

I smiled holding the card in my hand, feeling the rough texture and scribbled writing. I carried it close to me as I followed the guard out of my old room and towards the front desk.

I had to sign a few papers and I was on my way out. As I walked through the door I realized I didn't have a ride, or money, or anything really. I had no way to get home, no home to even go too anymore.

"Hey darling, why are you here by yourself? Is your family coming?" Nurse Jenny asked, coming to stand in front of me. Instead of her usual uniform, she wore a plain yellow shirt and blue jeans. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun.

I shook my head no.

She looked at me closely before her features soften into a sad smile," Well come on then, I'm taking you home. You can stay with me for a while until you get back on your feet or until you can get a family member to come get you."

"Thank you," I whispered looking down at my hands, and I meant it.

Everything seemed to just hit me. I had no one anymore. My brother is god knows where. My adoptive parents are dead. I was alone.

I followed Nurse Jenny to her beat up truck and got in silently. It felt so new and unusual. I mean sure, it wasn't my first time being in a car or anything but it had been awhile. The drive to her house was quiet, no sound other than the soft hum of the radio. It didn't take long to get to her home.

The little house looked really homey. It was a tan color and had a small garden in the front. I followed her out the car and into the house. The interior looked just as warm inside. It reminded me of the house Tony and I lived in with our mom before she died.

"If you want to make any phone calls while I make us some dinner, the phone is over there." She told me gently, smiling before making her way to what I assumed was the kitchen.

I made way to the home phone that was sitting on a small table next to the couch. I sat down on the couch and picked up the phone, wondering who I should call. I could try calling Tony and if he was out the hospital, he'd answer. The worst that could happen is that he won't pick up.

I dialed the number, taking a deep breath hoping he'd answer. It rung a few times, and I was sure it was going to go to voicemail before someone picked up.

"Hello?" A voice I had never heard before answered the phone.

I coughed slightly to clear my throat," Um is Anthony there?"

"Tony who is this guy asking for you?" I heard the man ask Tony, who I'm guessing took the phone from him.

I smiled at that, "How would I know if you're not giving me the phone, damn Casey call your life no need to be all possessive....Hello who is this?"

"Oh so you don't remember your own brother now?" I ask jokingly.

The line went silent.

"Cammie...?"

"Tony." I replied smiling.

It was quiet again before I heard sniffling," Where are you? No one told me you got let out of wherever you are, no one told me anything. I swear if I would have known I wou-"

"Tony its fine." I cut him off," I'm not mad at you but it would be nice to go home and sleep in my own bed."

I heard he take a deep breath," Anything you want, babes. Where are you I'm on my way right now?"

I gave him the address after asking Nurse Jenny for it. We said our goodbyes after he promised he'd be here in an hour, two hours at the most. I was just glad to be going home, wherever home would be from now on.

"Dinner's ready, sweetie." She called from inside the kitchen and I stood up, walking in that direction.

I came in the kitchen and she handed me a plate filled with food that looked and smelled delicious. My stomach growled in anticipation and I couldn't wait for my first home cooked meal in weeks. I sat down at the dining table and dug in. Nurse Jenny sat across from me and started eating as well. It wasn't until she handed me a napkin that I realized I was probably eating like a wild animal.

She chuckled seeing my embarrassed expression," You remind me of my son when he used to come home from college. He used to eat just like that and then give me a bashful look as if he didn't know he was that hungry."

"Where is he now?" I asked wiping my face, done eating now.

She looked at me, her smile looking sad," He was killed in a hit and run."

"I'm sorry for your loss." I just starred at her knowing that no amount of apologies would make her feel better. I had been there, after my mom died people always gave their condolences but it never made me feel better.

She smiled bright again. She was about to say something before the doorbell wrung, and she gave me a knowing look before nodding towards the door. I got up from my seat at the table, taking a deep breath and walked to the door.

I pulled the door open, my breath catching in my throat.

"Hey Tony..." I say softly and he burst into tears, pulling me into his arms.

He smelled just like I remembered. He had the same curly strawberry blonde hair, the only thing different about him was the slight stubble. I relaxed into his arms. He stiffened at a little at first making me remember the gunshot wound that was most likely still on his stomach but, he didn't seem to care about it as he hugged me tightly. Repeating that he was sorry and that he should have protected me. I simple told him it was okay, knowing no matter what happened, I didn't blame him.

"Aww this must be your brother, you two look so much alike," Nurse Janet cooed from behind me.

I pulled back from our hug, but Tony still had his arm around my shoulder.

He smiled at her through his tear stained face, "Thank you so much for taking care of him, what's your name?"

"Jenny, and it was my pleasure to watch over him. He's a good kid." She winked at me and I laughed feeling like a small child instead of the teenager I was.

We said our goodbyes to Jenny and were on our way home. It was surreal. I couldn't believe that in the course of a few months my life had changed so drastically. I had this newfound belief that things were going to start getting better.