Chapter 4: You Don't Know...

I sighed, sinking into the seat as Toni drove silently, Taylor Swift playing low in the background. I felt myself falling asleep.

"Eyes open kid," he told me with a soft smile," don't want you slipping into a coma."

I rolled my eyes at him. Such a drama queen," I'm not going to slip into a coma, I'm just tired."

"Tired?" He raised an eyebrow, looking extremely confused," You literally slept for a full day yesterday so how could you possibly be tired?"

I shrugged, not knowing how to answer that. "I don't know, maybe my body is under construction right now."

"You're not a building."

"You don't know what I got."

He gave me a bitch please look. "I changed your diapers, trust me, I know exactly what you got."

I chose to stay silent after that, to his satisfaction. Times like this I realized there was no need to embarrass myself.

He hummed quietly, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel and not long after that we pulled into the drive way of the house.

"I'm going to go get something to eat for diner. I know you'll probably be sleep so I won't wake you. Remember that I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm going back home to Colorado."

I only nodded as I got out the car and made my way into the house, not bothering to wait for him to drive off.

After three days of nothing but sleeping, I couldn't figure out why I was so tired. I dragged myself up the stairs and into my bedroom. It was the same as I had left it yet somehow it looked different. My navy blue queen sized bed was nestled in the corner with gray blankets and pillows thrown on it messily. My closet was left open and various things were littered across the floor. Pants, shorts, socks, shoes, pencils, pieces of paper. My desk wasn't as messy as it usually was though. The wooden desk had papers, sketchbooks, and a journal stacked up neatly.

I made a mental note to clean up this weekend.

I looked out my open window at the empty house next door. It had been awhile since someone lived there and it was nice not having to close my window because lets face it, I'm lazy about 89 percent of the time.

Deciding I needed to sit down before I pass out on the floor or something, I sank into my bed. My body felt like it weighed a ton as I tried to get comfortable.

I laid there staring up at the ceiling, thinking over things. I honestly didn't know why I still played football. I like nothing about the sport, it was something I used as an excuse to stay out of the house as a young teenager but somehow it also lead to me getting offered a scholarship. I didn't need it though. My grades never fell below a 92 percent and now I have an academic academic scholarship to the exact same school.

Raising a hand to my temples, feeling the skin there before covering my eyes with my hand and then taking it off, I realized it was probably time for me to quit football. It wasn't worth my sight or anything else I could injure by playing such a competitive sport. I had a life I wanted to attempt to live. I was owed that much. I wasn't about to waste my time doing something that I didn't find remotely fun. The only thing I liked about football was the fame that came with it. It was nice to feel important and to be praised but it's not something I necessarily need. I know who I am and I don't need a crowd to tell me I'm important. Maybe as a kid I longed for that kind of approval but now I could care less.

It's time for me to do things that I actually wanted to do.  Time to experience. To live. I'd spent too long doing things that seemed more like a chore than like fun, and I wasn't going to waste any more time. My 'parents' weren't here to stop me and I was going to take advantage of that.

The smile on face for the first time in a long time was absolutely genuine as my thoughts started to drift. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep.