Chapter 3: Remarkable My Ass

Shit. My head hurts. That was the only thought coursing through my mind as I tried to cope with the various sounds in the room I was in. I felt like my head was going to explode before it all seemed to fade. The noise lessened and it turned into quiet murmurs along with a beeping sound.

I wasn't that weak, just tired. I didn't know where I was or what was going on but I knew that something had happened or else I wouldn't be feeling so drained.

I reached up and rubbed my eyes before opening them. I felt myself panic because I couldn't see. It was mostly black with a dull splash of color here and there. I heard the beeping increase as I went into full panic mode.

"Cammie, Cam honey. You need to calm down." I heard Tony's voice urge as he griped my shoulders tightly. I could hear and feel him but I couldn't see him. I was panting and I felt like my heart was about to burst out of my chest. I felt a hard slap against my left cheek and the beeping stopped for a second.

What in the actually fuck?.

"Okay good," I heard Tony sigh from beside me," your calm now. Now tell me what's wrong."

"I-I-I...." I stuttered trying to form a sentence.

"What?" he demanded impatiently. If I wasn't so freaked out, I'd be rolling my eyes at his lack of patience.

"I....I..." I took a deep breath," can't see."

"Oh, that's it?" he asked as if it was nothing.

"That's it? That's it? That's fucking it? Is that really what you're going to say?" I felt myself getting angry," You act like I just told you a dog peed on me. I can't fucking see Tony. As in blind, as in all black no nothing, as in I just can't fucking see."

"Calm your tits," he huffed," the doctor said you'd wake up with loss of vision but it's only temporary and after a day or two, you should be seeing fine again."

I relaxed back onto what I assumed was a hospital bed. I sighed in relief," Good."

"You should be glad I was there and that they didn't call mom and dad because well...you know."

I shivered in disgust at the thought. I despised them with everything in me. If they were to die, it'd be a day of celebration. I shook my head, turning in his directions and hopefully looking at him.

"Yeah I know. Did the doctors ask questions about the scars?"

"Uh....yeah but I just said that you bruise easily and it's from all the football," he told me uncomfortably. I knew he hated talking about it. He felt like it was his fault they did this to me, and in a way it was but I'd stopped blaming him a long time ago.

I just continued resting, eventually closing my eyes because I felt uncomfortable starring into nothingness.

Not even a few minutes later, I drifted off into a sleep. I dreamt my favorite dream. One that had been reoccurring when I wasn't having nightmares.

I sat on the beach, laying in the arms of a mysterious man. I had never seen his face or his body for that matter. I just felt his arms as I starred up at the sky, the sound of waves crashing against the rocks in the background. Every time I tried to look at him, any part of him, I'd wake up, so I just resisted the urge. That way it lasted longer. And even though I hadn't seen him, I knew it was a man. I liked both but, I'd never let a women hold me in this way. It just wasn't something I'd do.

I continued to look at the sky. Clouds passed by looking like little puffs of smoke, before I found myself waking up and becoming conscious again.

My head still hurt slightly, but it was tolerable. I opened my eyes and it was better. Everything was just blurry. I couldn't really tell what anything was, but I could see the colors.....more or less. Some colors still seemed a little duller than they should be. I closed my eyes as a memory forced itself to replay in my head.

(Flashback)

"So sleeping beauty is awake." I heard a familiar voice sneer from beside me. I didn't bother looking in his direction.

"So Harold the dick bag is back from eating children and stealing from old ladies," I replied, closing my eyes and getting comfortable against the pillow.

"You ungrateful little-"

"I wouldn't say or do that Harold, as long as I'm in this hospital you can't do anything. Unlike you, they're not stupid. If they check me and see new bruises, they're going to put two and two together. So, I'd advise you to leave before I get out easy, and haver your ass behind bars." I taunted, even though I was bluffing.

They probably wouldn't do a full body check, but he wasn't the smartest tool in the shed.

"Fine, but when you get home, it's your ass." He threatened as I watched his arrogant form exit the room.

"Isn't it always?" I murmured the question to no one in particular.

I sighed, just happy to have him gone, even though I knew he was right. When I got back home, I was screwed. In more ways than one, but I wasn't worried. It wasn't like he could do anything worse than what he and my mother combined have already done.

(Flashback ended)

I closed my eyes again, shutting out the memories that begged to come through. I messaged my temples as I listened to footsteps walk into the room.

"Originally I thought we might have keep you here longer but you woke up sooner than we expected, which is remarkable. You only have to be in here for one or two more days. We're just waiting for your vision to come back," I heard who I'm guessing is the doctor say.

I nodded as he came over and checked my vitals. I listened as he exited the room before lighter, much quieter footsteps came in the room. I sat patiently as Tony got in bed next to me. 

Remarkable my ass.

"How many days?"

"One or two.....give or take." I replied.

I felt him shrug next to me," Could be worse. I remember that time you were in the hospital for a whole month."

"Yeah I remember that too, I still have the bruises to prove it," I chuckled humorlessly at myself ", Only one or two more days and then I'm back at school."

"Well look at the bright side," he yawned out," Harold and Samantha probably will be gone until you graduate and until then the house is practically yours. Once you turn eighteen you can come live with me and get out of this hellhole."

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Yes, thank you so much for that. It's more likely than not that they won't come back for a long time but then again luck has never been on my side."

"Oh your welcome little brother," he cheered kissing my forehead swiftly ignoring the rest of my statement. 

I shook my head at him, I really need a vacation.