Chapter 5: Everybody Wants To Rule The World

I was chocking. Hands were wrapped around my throat, dragging me deeper and deeper into the darkness. I could feel my resolve slipping. My fight draining as I stopped trying to breath. I stopped trying to force the hands off of my neck.

"Cameron wake up!" I heard loudly making my eyes fly open as I sat up quickly.

The fast movement made me notice just how sore my body was. I collapsed back on to my bed, calming my erratic breathing and looking up into Anthony's worried eyes.

"Cam baby," he said as he reached out to stroke my hair. I pushed his hands away, not wanting to be touched and I saw hurt cross his features," Are you okay?"

I gave him a sarcastic smile, my voice raspy," Yes Tony. After getting my ass handed to me on Monday, waking only to feel like I was hit by a bus, train, and helicopter three days later, and then being in the hospital two more days, I am perfectly fine."

"That smart mouth of yours is going to get you in trouble," he told me quietly.

"Well if people wouldn't ask me dumb questions, I wouldn't have to use my smart mouth answer," I said rolling my eyes.

I sat up again, this time slower, as I massaged my temples, my headache from yesterday coming back in full force. He handed me a glass a water and a bottle of Motrin. I took out a pill, swallowed it and then downed the glass of water. I sighed relaxing against the headboard.

"I'll go get you some breakfast."

I said nothing in reply, just watched him leave my room, before listening as he walked down the stairs. I closed my eyes, counting to ten to try and calm down. I could feel myself getting angry. I knew it wasn't Anthony's fault but it just wasn't fair.

"I brought you bacon, pancakes, a buttermilk biscuit, and apple juice," he announced as he reentered my room, carrying a lavender tray.

I nodded and watched as he set the tray across my lap. He sat back on my bed, his back against the wall.

"Do you remember when we younger and mom used to sing to us?" he asked me softly.

I looked at him questioningly, clearing my throat before answering," Yeah, every time either one of us was crying or got hurt she'd sing Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Lorde."

He chuckled shaking his head," No it wasn't originally made by Lorde. The band that made the song was called Tears for Fears and they were from the 80's."

I hummed in reply.

"Welcome to your life

There's no turning back

Even while we sleep

We will find you

Acting on your best behavior

Turn your back on Mother Nature

Everybody wants to rule the world

It's my own desire

It's my own remorse

Help me to decide

Help me make the most of freedom

And of pleasure

Nothing ever lasts forever

Everybody wants to rule the world

There's a room where the light won't find you

Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down

When they do, I'll be right behind you

So glad we've almost made it

So sad we had to fade it

Everybody wants to rule the world

Everybody wants to rule the world" The way he sang it was sad, and slow as if the lyrics are what haunted him.

I just stared. I knew he sang it in an effort to comfort me but he sounded wounded himself.  I didn't know what to do, my hands were shaking and my mind scrambled with thoughts. I couldn't help but admit the truth of that song. Everybody wants to rule the world in one way or another, even if it means hurting someone they're supposed to love. Adoptive parents were no different in my case.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I got up and got showered, not wanting my thoughts to consume me.