• | Chapter Thirteen | •

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." She softly spoke. His touch alone caused the fluttering in her stomach and her breath lodged in her throat from the irrepressible sense of nervousness overtaking her body.

"It's alright. No hard feelings." His smirk formed into a smile. He made eye contact with both Jay and Michelle, nodding his head toward them in acknowledgment.

"Hey, girls." He greeted in a cheery tone and they replied back in unison.

He was mostly preoccupied with the enjoyment of the effect he had on Riley as he could visibly see her blush and grow nervous from his presence alone until he glanced down at his hold on her arms. Both girls behind Riley had taken notice and exchanged sly smirks just as he gradually let go. She felt a small pang of sadness at the loss of his touch and was left confused by this feeling. She just simply pushed it aside.

Breaking eye contact with Mr. Jackson, she immediately noticed that this time he wasn't alone. He stood with two other men by his side; both had a smooth, browner complexion than him, shorter curls, and their body build differed vastly with Mr. Jackson being the slimmest of all three.

"So, this is Riley?" Jermaine suddenly smirked and Mr. Jackson couldn't prevent the sudden warmth that rushed to his high cheekbones.

"Ooh, you talk about Riley to your friends, Mr. Jackson?" Jay raised her eyebrows as she nudged her best friend, who gave her a warning look. She only grinned in return.

"Actually, these are my annoying brothers." Mr. Jackson rolled his eyes at them. "And of course, she's one of my best students. I admire her greatly."

"In more ways than one." Jermaine muttered under his breath and he grunted in slight pain when Mr. Jackson elbowed him roughly in the side. The girls exchanged brief glances, Michelle the only one catching onto his drift. "Anyway, we didn't properly introduce ourselves. I'm Jermaine, and over there is Marlon."

Marlon smiled and shyly greeted them. "Hi."

Both brothers scoffed at his sudden shyness and the girls giggled at this.

"He's actually the most talkative out of all of us, so I don't know why he's acting so bashful." Jermaine said, initiating a brief quarrel between them.

"Technically, you're the most talkative and Marlon is a close second." Mr. Jackson corrected, giving him one of his annoyed looks.

"Well I only become talkative when I'm around beautiful women and that's most likely why Marlon is suddenly speechless," Jermaine responded smoothly, a smug smile forming on his lips as he watched the girls blush profusely from his flirty comment.

"I take it that charm must run in the family." Michelle noted, the men smiling sheepishly in reply.

"They actually get it from me." Jermaine bragged, placing his arms over his brothers' shoulders before he was shrugged off.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night." Mr. Jackson jeered.

"I know what helps you sleep at night." Jermaine said low enough that only his brother could hear, receiving a pair of squinted eyes in return.

The girls were laughing lightly before Jay peered over at the lines at the concession stands and she nudged Riley to gain her attention. "Hey, there's Javen."

Riley looked at where she was staring and saw Javen behind several other people, waiting impatiently to finally order a few slurpees. "No wonder it took him so long." She muttered as she turned back toward the three brothers. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Jermaine and Marlon. I'll see you at school, Mr. Jackson."