• | Chapter Three | •

Jay and Riley sat in their usual spot outside in the courtyard that overlooked the large football field. Normally, they checked out some of the football players while they ate. Or at least Jay did. Riley wasn't interested in any of them in the slightest, no matter how good-looking or charming.

"Ooh, look at Craig!" Jay swooned while stuffing her face with some cheese fries, then turning to Riley. "You see him, right?"

Riley nonchalantly glanced over at number 22 and withheld her scowl. "Yeah, I see him." Her tone was drier than the Sahara desert, but Jay ignored her.

She swiftly turned back toward the field and squealed when Craig took off his damp jersey, revealing his sweaty six-pack. Riley crossed her eyes at Jay's little mini-obsession.

"I'm gonna make him mine one day." She said with determination in her voice, her thoughts swarming with several different fantasies of her and Craig.

Riley shook her head while placing sour cream and lettuce on her tacos. "Please don't."

Jay turned and frowned at her. "Why?"

"He's a hoe."

Jay's eyes shifted away from Riley. "...and?" She knew that Craig made his rounds, but she felt that she was different and could change his ways. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Riley looked at her as if she grew two heads. "So, what you're trying to tell me is that you're willing to hook up with a dude that has probably slept with half the girls in this school?"

"No, it's just that... I don't know. I kind of like him."

"Why?"

She shrugged before a goofy, lovestruck smile slid across her lips. "Just something about him."

"Well, if you're gonna date a star football player, at least date one who's more respectable of girls." Riley said, putting the emptied sour cream packets to the side.

"He is!" Jay argued.

"Until he gets what he want and drops them like a hot tamale. Remembered what happened with Daisha and Emilie?"

She frowned at the memory. "Yeah. They definitely weren't the same after all that."

"Exactly. Is he worth your problems?"

Before she was given a chance to answer, Craig walked up the concrete steps toward the courtyard and smiled over at Jay. Of course, she leaned forward and put her chin in the palm of her hands as she smiled back. Riley avoided eye-contact with him just so he wouldn't speak to her. But what does he decide to do?

"So you just gonna act like you don't see me, Riley?" Craig quipped as he walked over.

"Yep." She replied bluntly, taking a bite out of her taco.

"That's cold, man. That really hurt my heart." He placed a hand over his heart as if he was really offended.

"Sorry, not sorry." She casually shrugged.

He ignored her and turned toward Jay. "You busy this weekend?"

She shook her head. "Not really, why?"

"Me and my boys are gonna hang downtown and go to the party at Universal. You wanna come?" He flashed his charming smile.

"I'll go if Riley can go." Jay sipped her soda.

"She can if she loses that attitude." Craig crossed his arms and lowered his eyebrows as he looked over at her.

Riley gave him a tight-lip smile. "My period should be over by then."

He scrunched up his face in disgust. "I'll see you later, Jay." He walked away shaking his head at her comment.

"Really, Riley? You just made yourself look like a fool in front of him." Jay scoffed with a disapproving frown.

She shrugged. "He's not someone I'm trying to impress, so I couldn't really care less."

"Yeah, well, I'm trying to make a good impression and you're ruining it. How would you feel if you're trying to impress Mr. Jackson and I kept making slick comments?"

"First of all, why you gotta bring him up?"

"Because you like him." Jay smirked.

"He seems like a cool teacher, but I just met the man. Besides, you know how this student-teacher stuff goes and how people view it. He'll lose his job and I'll be the talk of the school."

"If you don't get caught."

"Jay, stop that." Riley glared.

"Stop what?" She asked, throwing away the rest of her food at the nearest trash can.

"Trying to make it justified. Even if the relationship is consensual, he's gonna be seen as the predator. The whole city will mock him and he'll be labeled a sex offender."

Jay grabbed a nacho from Riley's tray and dipped it in cheese. "And there's a way to avoid that."

"By not getting involved." Riley answered, finishing up her tacos.

"That... and not getting caught." She slyly grinned.

"I'm done with you and this topic." Riley chuckled. She got up and dumped her tray, and Jay quickly followed behind her.

"No you're not, because we still have to talk about this." Jay waved over at Craig before finally catching up with Riley.

He was sitting on the other side of the courtyard with several other football players and a few girls, talking about the upcoming party. He winked in response and turned back toward his group. Riley shook her head at them and went through the clear doors that led to the hallway of their classroom.

"Why are you so hellbent on trying to get me with Mr. Jackson?" Riley asked.

"I'm not. But who in their right mind would pass up a chance to get with him? If I wasn't so focused on Craig, I would be trying to snatch him up myself."

"How do you even know he's single? He probably has a wife and kids."

She twisted her lips to the side and put her hands on her hips. "My senses tells me he doesn't have a wife or kids."

"Apparently your senses are lying." Riley tapped her shoulder and nodded her head at Mr. Jackson exiting out the classroom door. On the way out, he was holding a little girl in his arms and talking to a woman with a light complexion. They were walking the opposite direction. "What do you say about that?"

Jay frowned. "Aw, I guess he does have a family then. That sucks 'cause deep down I was rooting for you guys, so you could call me in the middle of the night about your sex adventures and how his perfectly round ass felt between your fingers."

"Jay, please shut up." Riley laughed, shaking her head.

"See, this is how we're best friends. You put up with my craziness, and I put up with your weirdness. Speaking of which, you haven't retched since I said the word 'sex'. Ooh, Mr. Jackson has you thinking naughty things in that head of yours." She wiggled her eyebrows.

"No, he isn't." Deep down, he was.

"Liar."

"I'm not, Craig." Riley teased her, and Jay's expression immediately resembled the Cheshire cat's smile. She started doing the skip-twirl dance from earlier, and Riley instantly became annoyed. "Why?" She questioned herself.

"Craig is love. Craig is life." Jay hummed to herself, twirling with her arms stretched out.

"Craig is a piece of shit." Riley mumbled, rolling her eyes and following after her.