• | Chapter Fifty-Eight | •

Almost every single small hair on Riley's body rose as she stared at the blank white wall with tears still lingering in her eyes. Her gaze slowly inched toward the door and on impulse, she wanted to barrel right through there into her mother's arms. She hated every single second of this procedure.

She hated being in this dull, tiny room. She hated the annoying scrawling sound of the pen dragging against the paper where a nurse was inputting information. She hated these stupid questions. She hated what happened to her just mere hours ago.

She longed for Michael and his comforting touch. He had left right after her parents arrived to avoid any suspicion and questions. Michelle took it upon herself to hide the card he wrote her and Jay lied about the roses.

"Were you physically harmed?" The dark-haired nurse asked, turning slightly in her swivel chair to look at her through her swooped bangs.

Riley silently nodded before pushing herself to say, "He threw me onto the bed and I hit my head against the rail. Before that, he had dug his fingers into my stomach and his hand was around my throat."

She met the nurse's pitied gaze, then looked away with a slight scowl. She hated when people looked at her like that.

The pen started moving again.

"Was there any penetration?" The nurse asked several seconds later.

Riley's voice was extremely soft as she clenched her gown into her fists. "Yes."

"Where?"

She shifted uncomfortably and more tears fell. The pain still lingered between her legs and his hot breath was still felt against her ear. She bit her tongue and squeezed her eyes shut in an attempt to keep her crying at bay. She lost the fight and sobbed so hard her body shook.

She hadn't realized the nurse left her seat to soothe her to the best of her ability.

🥀

| A Week Later...

It only felt like it happened yesterday with all that went down in the hospital and the extensive, invasive rape kit she had to go through. She cringed and shuddered at the reminder of it.

Droplets of rain pelted lightly against her bedroom window. It had been raining on and off all day, and the cloudy weather easily matched her gloomy mood. Riley sat on the edge of her bed in a slight daze, staring at the wilted roses that lay on her desk in front of the card Michael wrote her. A tray sat next to it, holding an empty bowl that was once full of soup and a half glass of water. She had been out of it the last few days due to the raging headaches, the recurrent abdominal pains, and her paranoia that Javen was somewhere looking for her.

She blinked slowly as she raised her hand to the bruised spot on her temple and winced slightly from the touch. The tips of her finger brushed against her unruly, tangled hair. She didn't have the energy to care for it like she normally did and she ignored her mother's offer to do it for her. Instead, she laid cooped in her room, hiding from the world and barely responding to anybody that spoke to her in the last week.

She wearily glanced over at the pile of homework and assignments that she had to catch up on in order to graduate on time. She sighed and ran her hand over her hair again before laying back down onto her unmade bed. She curled into a ball and wrapped her arms tightly around her stomach as her eyes watered from the small relief that she still had the little life inside of her despite the circumstances.

"Riley!" She heard her father suddenly yell from downstairs. "Riley, are you up?"

She let out an annoyed groan and nearly buried her face into one of the many pillows before she pushed the urge away. She slowly sat back up and grabbed a bottle of pain pills that were safe for her to use to help cease an oncoming headache.