• | Chapter Thirty-Nine | •

| Early Friday Evening. . .

AppleHead ❤️😘

What'cha doing, Bambi?
5:46 PM

Working on some biology hw, Applehead.
5:47 PM

No practice today?
5:47 PM

No thankfully. Trent had an emergency & needed to cancel.
5:47 PM

So other than bio, you're free?
5:48 PM

🤨 What are you up to, Jackson?
5:48 PM

I wanna take you out somewhere fun, Smith.
5:48 PM

More fun than Frankie's?
5:49 PM

Maybe. I'll pick you up in 30.
5:49 PM

I didn't agree to go.
5:50 PM

I mean if you wanna stay home and draw some Punnett squares all night instead of hanging with your fine ass boyfriend, that's cool 👍🏽
5:51 PM

I was just playing! I wanna go 🥺
5:51 PM

Lol I thought so. I'll be there soon.
5:51 PM

Riley shook her head with a smile as she placed her homework aside on the window seat and got up. She stretched the stiffness from her body before going over to her closet to choose something to wear. She bit her lip as she pondered, then stepped away to look through her drawers first.

Thirty minutes didn't feel like enough time as she finally settled on an outfit, and was now in the bathroom brushing her teeth and fluffing out her tight curls. By the time she was swiping the wand of her lip gloss onto her lips, her phone vibrated.

AppleHead ❤️😘

I'm here. I parked a little down the street.
6:23 PM

She evenly spread the rest of the lipgloss by rubbing her lips together before grinning, then slipped her phone into her back pocket. She made sure she had everything she needed in her small purse before she eagerly bounded down the stairs and crossed the foyer.

"Where are you headed off to?" Anika suddenly asked from the archway of the kitchen.

Riley abruptly stopped and turned to face her. Her mother raised one eyebrow almost high to the sky when she noticed Riley's outfit. She didn't remember her daughter dressing like this before. Then again, she also wasn't home very often.

"To hang with Jay and Michelle for a bit. I didn't know you were home." Riley easily said as she quickly changed the subject.

Anika swirled the straw in her long island tea. "I didn't have to show any houses today or meet with clients, so I figured I could just do some paperwork at home. What did UCLA say?"

Riley winced at the reminder and she exhaled with a downhearted shrug. Anika noticed and frowned. "I didn't get accepted."

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I know how much you wanted this." She stepped forward and brought Riley into a hug. She rubbed her arm after stepping back. "It's their loss."

Riley half-smiled as it reminded her of Michael's kind words. "It's okay, Mama. I'm looking at some other colleges right now, so I might find something else hopefully. But anyway, they're outside waiting and I should go."