So Far Away [Naruto Sequel] Chapter 02

The five of us walked the streets of Konoha, Sakura was with Naruto, Temari with Shika and I walked behind all of them. As I looked at the two pairs, I tilted my head. “I’m the fifth wheel.” I said mostly to myself as I brought my hand to my chin in observation.

“Don’t think of yourself that way.” Temari replied in a reassuring tone and glanced over her shoulder.

“Yeah, it’s not like we’re a couple or anything. I’d be more worried about those two.” Shikamaru motioned towards the two former teammates of mine.

I shook my head at all of them. Naruto stopped for a second to let Shika and Temari catch up and started to whisper to them. “So, are you two on a date?”

“It’s not like that.” Shikmaru answered in a stern and bored voice.

“Don’t joke around like that. Why would I even go on a date with someone like him?” Temari scolded him for such an accusation. “The chuunin exams are soon.”

My ears perked up at that. I had completely forgotten about the chuunin exams. I already felt like a jounin anyway. “I’ve been bouncing back and forth between the Sand and Konoha as I take care of the preparations.” She explained to him.

“And, it’s a pain, but once I started working on the exams, I was told that I have to be the Sand Ambassador’s guide.”

“The chuunin exams…” My mind tried to drift away into its memories but I forced it to stay away from them. I didn’t feel like thinking back to them right now.

“So, what are you two going to do?” Shikamaru suddenly asked, glancing from me to Naruto.

“Err…About what?” We replied simultaneously.

“The chuunin exams,” He said slowly to us. “You’re the only two in our age group who hasn’t become a chuunin yet.”

“Actually, I’m a year older… so… I’m the only one in Neji, Lee, and Tenten’s age group who hasn’t become at least a chuunin yet.” I corrected for them in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Either way… you graduated with our group, so…”

As this new information finally hit Naruto, he looked over to Sakura in surprise. “Sakura-Chan, you’re a chuunin, too?!”

Sakura nodded her head and did a peace sign. “That’s right.”

“On a side-note, Kankurou from the Hidden Sand, this person—“He pointed to Temari. “—and Neji, are all jounin now.”

“What about Gaara?” I asked as I looked between the lazy boy and Temari, Naruto nodded his head in agreement to my question.

Shikamaru looked a bit hesitant to tell us, but Temari handled it instead. “He’s the Kazekage.”

I glanced over to Naruto to see his reaction to see him clench his fists. “Is that so? Gaara became the Kazekage?” I raised my hand to his shoulder to comfort him… well, until…

“That’s awesome! I won’t lose, either.” He exclaimed while I lifted my eyebrow up at him. “I’m definitely going to become Hokage.”

As they talked a bit more, I looked into the distance. I wonder how Gaara is… I hadn’t seen him since he betrayed the leaf village. And, that’s also when I had that silly crush on him. I snickered at myself. He was just too adorable not to like, even if he could kill me at any time. I’d like to visit him sometime, I hope I can.

-~-~

Naruto, Sakura and I were now standing at where we were supposed to meet Kakashi at for our test. Naruto was pacing around as Sakura and I stood up against the wall.