- nine -

I had my eyes strained on the tip of Josh's pencil. My best friend tapped it plenty of times on the desk he sat at. I was distracted- unable to concentrate on the worksheet at hand. Though if I actually payed attention to the teacher, I would know what to do. But I couldn't. 

I couldn't stop thinking about Sarah- about Brendon, the kiss, and most of all, the danger I'd put everyone close to me in. I let out a shaky breath, coming to focus as Ms. Corvus snapped her fingers in front of my face, a scowl fixed upon me. 

"Ross, your homework?" She demanded, holding a hand outstretched towards me. I hesitated, before embarrassment spread across me. I hadn't gotten in done. Again. I needn't say more, Josh answered for me.

"He didn't get it done. Nor did he copy, Ms. Corvus." He spoke in a scarily steady voice, despite the worry still etched on his face. I could thank Dallon for that, for attacking Tyler with no absolute reasoning, yesterday. 

Ms. Corvus shook her head in disapproval, but it didn't really bother me any. I simply raised my book to skim over a few lines. I was caught up with my reading, which I would admit, was surprising. I'd gotten maybe three lines engrained inside me before Ms. Corvus extended her bony fingers, and snatched the book right out of my hand.

"Hey!" I protested, "I was reading that..." Josh let out a soft sigh, turning away. Me? Well, I faked anger, crossing my arms over my chest and sticking my bottom lip out in a pout. Ms. Corvus was unamused; if anything, she still wanted to burn me.

"Sure you were...Either way, this is the second month you've skipped doing your homework. I understand it's April, and soon the school year will be ending," A few shouts of encouragement and excitement riled up, "-but that does not give you any right to slack off." 

I rolled my eyes, this teacher really did fucking suck. "There for, I'll be assigning you a study buddy! Alright? Now, who'd like to volunteer for the job?" Slowly, my eyes widened. Nobody in the room volunteered, except one. Not even Josh.

Brendon's hand shot straight in the air the second Ms. Corvus asked for a volunteer. Slowly, I groaned, stomping my foot. "I don't want a study buddy!" I complained, turning to glare hard at Brendon. Amusement sparkled in his eyes. 

"Oh my God." I blurt out, throwing my head back as I slid down in my seat. Ms. Corvus didn't take any complaints. She dismissed the situation with a flick of her wrist, and returned to teaching the class. The entire time, and actually for the entire day, every time I saw Brendon I straight up GLARED. How was I gonna stray away from him if I was forced to be beside him every day after school? I knew Grandma would make sure I aced all my classes. She'd go along with it, for sure.

As expected, Grandma fell through with it. Here I was, forced to sit at the circular dining room table. Brendon was beside me, the mathematics textbook flipped open to the correct page before him. He was rambling, but I wasn't paying attention.

To make up for the reluctancy of this night, Grandma had bought me an extra-big bag of gummy worms, since I basically lived off them whenever I got the chance. Then, she'd disappeared for the night, deciding to treat herself to dinner.

She still believed I liked Brendon, she she wanted to give me "alone time" with him. I snorted softly in disbelief, sticking another gummy worm into my mouth. Brendon raised his head in acknowledgment to my amusement, curious.

"What? Did I pronounce something wrong?" He asked, racking his brain for memory of anything he'd done. I turned towards him, surprised by how serious he was. It was a change from his usual dickhead perverted ways.