16.

"Are you serious?" Camila nearly exploded out of her seat and tackled her girlfriend in an excited embrace.

Lauren eagerly nodded, barely able to contain her own excitement. Dr. Watson had brought her in for the preliminary testing that was required to make sure that the risk was minimal when it came time to the real surgery. The date was set for Saturday morning, almost exactly a week from the current time.

"I can't believe it," Camila let out a long breath, "you really might be able to talk again."

Lauren smiled. Even the thought of being able to talk again was making her heart beat faster. In simple terms, not being able to verbally communicate sucked, especially when it came to Camila. Lauren wanted nothing more than to be able to tell her how much the younger girl meant to her and in a week, she might have the chance to do just that.

Lauren wasn't stupid, though, she knew the risks of the surgery. Best case scenario, she got her voice back a few days after the surgery. Worst case was something she really didn't want to think about, but, to Lauren, the chance of being able to speak again was worth dying over.

"We should celebrate," Camila smiled over at her girlfriend from her position on the bed. "We could go out to dinner later? I'll pick you up," she suggested.

Lauren nodded, she was always up for spending time with Camila, the food was just a bonus.

"I should probably get going now though, my parents said they want me to watch Sofi for a bit."

Lauren stood up, opening the bedroom door and walking Camila out to her car.

The smaller girl clambered into the driver's seat and leaned out the door to give Lauren a quick peck on the lips, "See you later."

Lauren smiled in conformation and closed the door, waving Camila off as she backed out of the driveway and down the street.

She made her way back inside, shuffling up the stairs and back into her bedroom. She looked around at the posters. Bob Marley, the 1975, and Lana Del Rey lined her walls. On her desk sat a few framed pictures of she and Dinah over the years and one of Lauren and her family. On her ceiling, a world map looked back down at her from its place over her bed.

Collapsing on the bed, she closed her eyes for a moment. As her breathing became more even and she started to drift off to sleep, her phone buzzed.

From: Jadey

I need your help. Meet me by our pond in 10.

Lauren frowned. Though Jade had been a class A bitch to Camila, which she would never forgive her for, the fact that Jade texted her out of all people probably meant that it was serious. Plus, she and Jade wanted to spend the rest of their lives together at one point, they used to have a very strong bond, Lauren should be there for her.

To Jadey:

I'll be there in 5.

-----

"Oh mija I'm so glad you're home! Your padre and I are heading to visit abuela, we should only be gone a couple hours." Sinu spoke as her daughter made her way into the living room.

"That's fine mama, I have plans with a friend later this evening for dinner," Camila smiled as she thought of Lauren.

"Un amigo especial?" Alejandro asked as he carried Sofi into the room to join the rest of the family.

Camila debated telling them. She knew they wouldn't approve, but Lauren was worth whatever consequences she would have to endure. Unless it meant she wouldn't be able to see her anymore. "No, papá, sólo un amigo de la escuela."