He opens his eyes only to push his lips back to mine in a slow short kiss. He pulls away once again and gives me another fearful look. I sigh softly and rest my head on his shoulder.

"What are you thinking?" I mumble, just wanting to know what's going through his head.

"I'm just hoping that you're okay with that." He mumbles. "And I'm hoping that I didn't freak you out because I really like you. And I'm thinking that it was very rude of me to kiss you like that without asking and that I'm sorry."

I process everything he said and I swallow hard.

"Wait, you like me? Like not as a friend?" I ask feeling my stomach clench.

"Yeah, I do. I'm sorry." He whispers.

"No don't be sorry. I like you too, I just thought you were into girls." I explain.

"Uh, do you want to go to the shore so we can talk?" He asks and I nod.

He carries me to a small strip of sand under the pier. He then puts me down.

"I'm going to go back up there and grab our towels then I'll be back." He says and I nod.

He then disappears to get the towels and returns very soon, also with a bottle sunscreen. He lays them down on the sand then he takes my hands and we sit down.

"I got you sunscreen. You're so pail. You never went outside much, did you?" He asks and I shake my head. "Then the sun is probably going to burn you alive. You should put some sunscreen on."

He hands me the bottle and I feel some tension between us as I begin applying it. I reach around my back, where I can feel the sun hitting most but I can't really get all of it.

"Uh, I can help." Vic murmurs.

He takes the bottle from my hands and I give him a nod.

He squeezes some sunscreen onto his hand before he spreads it across my back. He's being so gentle like if he pushed any harder then he'd break me. His fingers linger a little longer than they should on one spot and then I realize that he's touching the welts from my dad's belt. I intake a sharp breath and flinch a little as he begins tracing them. He drops his hand when I flinch.

"I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"It's okay." I whisper.

He puts down the sunscreen seeming to have finished so I turn back to him.

"Okay, so I don't like girls, never have. I lied to you because I panicked and I'm sorry." He explains.

"It's okay but why didn't you just tell me the truth?" I ask. I'm not bothered that he didn't tell me, I'm just curious as to why he didn't.

"A few reasons. I don't want Mama and Papa to know and I was scared that you were going to tell them. I'd feel bad too because I didn't want to ask you to keep another secret but I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell them." He says looking at me hopefully but also scared.

"No of course not." I say reassuringly and he lets out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you and there's another reason. Alex and I used to be best friends then I told him that I was gay and he hated me. He thought I was into him, which I wasn't but he told the entire school that I was and now everyone hates me and I get bullied and beat up a lot and I was just scared to tell you because I didn't want to lose another friend." He concludes and I frown.