Track 21 - When I Find Myself In Times of Trouble

Start from the beginning

"He knows he can leave his room when the sand runs out," Mary explained wearily. A working mother, with none of the modern conveniences Lainey had grown up taking for granted. No wonder she looked tired.

"They're very sweet boys," Lainey reassured her. "Typical brothers, jealous for your attention."

"Paul is so much like his father. He's never happier than when he has an audience."

Lainey couldn't keep the smile from her lips. "That's how he reaches out to people. All you can do is encourage it."

Mary looked thoughtful. "That lad has the fascinating ability to do two things at once."

"What do you mean?"

"He can be looking at a picture book and listening to the wireless and a neighbor drops by. Paul can relate everything that happened in a radio program and every word of my conversation with the neighbor and never look up from his book."

"He's a very smart little boy. He'll make you terribly proud one day."

Mary's cheeks grew faintly pink. "A mother is always proud of her sons," she said, ruffling Michael's soft brown hair. Michael rested his tear-stained cheek on his mother's shoulder, content now to have her full attention.

Lainey decided now was a good time to hit the road back to 1963, before she made any mistakes. She pulled Paul's letter out of her purse. "My mother wanted me to give you this. She said it was very important."

"Oh. Of course. The flowers are lovely, dear. And the vase. Please tell your mother I'll keep it always." She frowned, as if trying once again to remember Lainey's mother.

"It was so nice meeting you, Mrs. McCartney. Thank you for everything."

"Pleasure. Give my best to your mother. Is there a return address inside so I can thank her properly?"

"Yes, inside the letter." Lainey winced a little at the lie, reminding herself that it was all for the greater good.

The door closed behind her and Lainey expelled an audible sigh of relief. She'd done the best she could and hadn't made any mistakes. Now she had to get back to 1963 and Paul and hope for the best.

On the short walk to the park, Lainey's heart was beating like a drum, her shoulders tense. What if she'd been successful, if Mary had taken the letter to heart and had her symptoms checked out while there was still time to save her life? Would Paul still have become a Beatle? Would he be waiting for her in 1963, or would they even have met one another? One way or another, she would soon find out.

**********************************

When the spinning sensation stopped, Lainey didn't know whether to be worried or relieved to see Paul sitting on the bench exactly where she'd left him.

"What happened?" he demanded, before she even had her bearings. "What did you do with the flowers?"

Lainey brought a hand to her forehead. Traveling through time wasn't getting any easier. It still made her slightly nauseous and lightheaded. "I gave them to your mother. Chill out and give me a moment."

She collapsed on the bench beside him and closed her eyes, hoping her head would stop spinning soon.

"You've only been gone for five seconds."

"Five seconds to you," she said, opening her eyes.

"Tell me what happened."

"Oh my god. You already know I'm crazy about the 21-year-old you, but I am madly in love with the four-year-old you! You were the cutest little thing. You said my hair was pretty and you—"