Jose Fernandez (Miami Marlins)

Hey guys I got this request, and I put it at the top of my list for obvious reasons. I honestly thought about writing an entire Fanfiction for Fernandez but I'm not going to anymore. I don't know why, but it just wouldn't feel right.

In memory of Jose Fernandez...

It was another day of work, and I really wasn't in to it.  As fun as it was being the Miami Marlin's cheerleader, I wanted to do more. I mean I love baseball so that part is great, but most nights I don't even have time to focus on the game.

I got to the stadium and walked in to the clubhouse. No one ever really payed any attention to me, or any of the other cheerleaders, but I didn't mind. It was nice being able to fit in with everybody else working here.

I walked past the player's locker room and headed towards ours. It was pretty small, but it beat sharing a locker room with all the Marlin's players. Actually that's not true.

Every time I walk to our locker room, I make sure to peak in to the player's locker room. Usually I don't see anything, but I did get lucky one day when I saw Christian Yelich without a shirt. So far, that's the best I've seen, but I'm still hoping for more one of these days.

When I was looking in the player's locker room, I bumped in to somebody without noticing. Instantly, my cheeks went red from embarrassment. I couldn't even tell who the guy was because he towered above me. My head had slammed in to his chest and that's all I saw right away.

I looked up to try and see who this guy was. He looked down at me with concern in his eyes. "I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" He asked worried.

I didn't recognize this guy which was weird because I knew just about everybody. He must've been new because there is no way I'd forget this guy. He was actually really cute, and I was starting to feel speechless. It was obvious that I was staring at him, and I very well could've been drooling, but his look of worry soon faded and was replaced with a smile. Oh great; his smile is even cuter.

"I'm Jose Fernandez," he introduced in a Cuban accent that only added to his attractiveness.

He held his hand out waiting for me to shake it. After taking in the rest of his features, I did. "And you are?" He asked.

"Oh uhh, Jessica," I stuttered.

"It's nice to meet you," he replied continuing to smile.

I smiled back at him, before walking away. As much as I wanted to talk to him, I couldn't take the butterflies in my stomach anymore. This guy was way to hot, and it wasn't going to be good for me to stare at him any longer.

We stood in the dugout, waiting for our time to go out. They were announcing the lineups, and my heart dropped when I heard his name. How didn't I know he was pitching?

The game began, and me and the other cheerleaders did our thing. I couldn't help but be a little distracted though by the pitcher.
Seriously though, I haven't stopped thinking about him since we met. He was cute, charming, and holy hell was he a good pitcher. He pitched eight shutout innings, giving up three hits while striking out twelve. Most impressively, it was against the Washington Nationals who have a pretty good lineup.

As the game came to a close, I headed to the locker room. The mood in the clubhouse was always better after a win, but it seemed even more so today. I got all of my things and started heading out, but not before I peaked in to the locker room. It was obvious they were all in a great mood, but in the center of it all, was Jose Fernandez. He was smiling and laughing and it seemed rather infectious to everyone around.

Jose must've noticed me staring in to the locker room because we made eye contact. I quickly put my head down and continued to walk. "Hey, wait!" He called in his adorable accent. "Are you doing anything right now?" He asked.

I started to internally freak out. Was he asking me on a date? "No," I replied.

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" He asked.

"Sure." I couldn't believe this was actually happening.

One of the last things he said was how he felt his best game yet was the one against the Nationals. Little did any of us know, it'd be his last.

...Rest in peace Jose Fernandez.