Chapter 16

Previously

An oily voice rasps out next to her ear. "I have been dying to try out this new toxin." She gags against the hand holding her mouth as she feels man nuzzle her hair. "You will be a great test subject" He chuckles darkly and then she feels the prick of a needle on her neck. Searing pain runs through her veins and she only has a second to scream out, ZEREF! Before the world turns black and she falls lifeless to the floor...

ZEREF! The cry tares through his mind. He is instantly awake and standing in the small compartment.

Tenshi!? He asks in his mind. He gets no response. He throws out his senses as he calls for her again. He senses seven men in the sleeper car but he does not sense Lucy. Zeref runs out of the compartment as he screams in his head for her to answer. Fear is ripping at his heart as he rushes down the aisle. He stops suddenly as he approaches the seven life forms he sensed earlier. He takes in the scene before him. His heart stops as he sees Lucy lying on the floor at the feet of the dirty blond they had walked by earlier. LUCY! He screams in his head. He searches his mind for the ever present sliver of her in his mind. It was not there. He tried to flow into her mind from the link they shared but it was not there. Dead? Lucy is dead? He looks down at her still form, his body shaking violently. Then he looks up at the group of dirty humans.

At first they appear startled by Zeref's appearance. Then the dirty blond starts to laugh. "She was a tasty thing wasn't she?" he says sadistically to Zeref. "It was so delicious watching her succumb to the toxin." Zeref's body has stopped shaking his head hanging, pitch black hair covering his eyes. "It was slightly disappointing at how quickly she died." The man said. he watched Zeref not realizing that the silence from him was more than a normal man mourning for his lost love. "Maybe you will take longer to die from it." He laughed loudly, his gang behind him laughing with him.

The leader of the gang stops laughing as he feels a heavy pressure filling the train car. He looks closer at the man standing before him. Zeref's fists are clinched tightly at his side and he slowly raises his head. The gang leader gasps in fear as Zeref's eyes lock on his. He tries to take a step back but feels shackles of magic lock down on all his limbs. He looks at the man standing silently in front of him. Oh shit! This guy is powerful! He thinks to himself in fear as he looks into the blood red eyes staring back at him. All he sees behind those eyes are madness and his impending demise.

The gang leader's arms and legs slowly start to stretch out painfully at 45 degree angles from his body. He cries out in pain and fear. He soon hears his gang members yell out in anger as they rush the silent man standing before him. He is helpless as he watches as each of his lackeys got torn limb from limb. As Zeref looks at each attacker, that man screams out in pain. Then the attacker's body falls to the blood soaked floor having been dismantled in some grizzly way.

Zeref looks back at the gang leader once the rest of the gang's bodies stop twitching. He takes a step toward the gang leader. The gang leader tries to cry out but he feels constricting magic wrap around his neck. The magic squeezed tightly stopping just shy of crushing his throat. He can do nothing but watch in fear as Zeref takes another step toward him. Zeref brushes his hand in the air in the direction of the man. The gang leader flies back and slams painfully into the wall of the train car. The car shakes violently. Zeref steps up to Lucy's prone body. He kneels down and brushes gentle fingers over her face. A tear runs down his cheek and falls on her forehead. He brushed it away along with the bangs that had fallen in her eyes. He roars out his pain to the ceiling.

With another soft caress he stands up and walks closer to the only man left alive. Zeref looks at the man as he steps close to him. "So you like hurting people?" Zeref asks softly his voice a menacing whisper. "You wanted her to die and from what you said you wanted her to die slower?" He looks at the man who could not answer. The man could do nothing but stare at the insanity behind the eyes looking at him. Slowly the eyes move from his. Zeref slowly looks at the man's right arm he smiles an evil smile. Slowly the gang leader's right arm starts to rip from his body. The gang leader tries to scream in pain but nothing escapes his throat. His arm falls to the floor near his feet. Blood pours from his shoulder.