Part 5

Blue huffed in the passenger seat as GG drove the hearse down the street. Harper sat in the back, watching as the sun set behind them.
"I hate this dress..." Blue mumbled.
"It's just for tonight. Hang in there." Harper replied.
GG pulled up to the curb, parking across the street from the Couture Hotel. They peeked out the windows and eyed the entrance. Security stood at the front doors as people entered the building.
"Alright." GG started, getting out of the car and fluffing up her short gray dress, "You both know the plan,right?"
"We mingle, trying to see if we hear or see anything about that symbol." Harper answered as she stepped out and closed the door behind herself.
Blue sat in the car, fidgeting with the long sleeves of her dress.
GG knocked on the window and signaled for her to get out, "Come on."
"Maybe I should stay here and be the getaway driver just in case something happens." Blue tugged down on her short, black dress.
"Stop messing with your dress." Harper commented. "You look great."
Blue followed them across the street, trying her hardest not to trip in her black high heels.
When they had looked through the rack of dresses Blue had chosen the most conservative one. The long sleeves were perfect and the beaded design around the neck line wasn't half bad. The only part that bugged her was the length. The dress sat mid-thigh. Sure, the skirts she wore on a daily basis were the same length. They may be even a little shorter. But this was different. The girls wouldn't allow her to wear tights underneath. Her bare skin was all out for the world to see and she just wanted to curl up into a ball and die.
The girls walked past the security and into the open room. A giant chandelier hung overhead as droves of people in formal attire continued on to the next room. Making their way through the crowd, the girls entered into a large room filled with round tables and plenty of seating. A large stage stood at the front of the room where an instrumental band began to play.
"We should probably find a place to sit." Harper started, only to realize that GG had disappeared. She looked up to see if Blue had also noticed GG's absence but became surprised when she saw her hands shaking.
"It's okay." she whispered, grabbing her hand and guiding her over to an empty table in the middle of the room. "Are you nervous about all the people?"
Blue shook her head she took a seat. "I feel so exposed.."
Harper looked around desperately trying to spot GG. This plan was going to fail if Blue didn't keep it together.
"My hair.."
"What?" Harper asked.
"It's out of its usual side braid. It's all curly and wavy. Who am I? What's happened to me? Is this a symbolic reference to the stories plot?"
Harper swatted her shoulder. "Now is not the time for psychological analyzation. GG has disappeared and you need to start digging for clues. Go. Mingle."
Blue stood up, walking away like a newborn fawn getting use to its legs.
Harper sighed and headed off into the opposite direction.

__________________________

GG hovered in the air as she watched the girls go their separate ways. She felt bad about disappearing on them but knew it was for the best. She didn't want anyone to see that she was with them.
She continued to look down from above, hopping to be able to spot someone of interest. Most of the attendees had now begun to converse with nearby guests as the band on the stage played smooth jazz to set the mood.
All of a sudden someone caught her eye. A large man in a blue suit walked along the left wall the ballroom until he reached an elevator. He pressed the only button on the gold panel and stood waiting. GG watched as the elevator doors opened, allowing him to step inside. The elevator rose to the second floor before opening again.
GG followed him up and watched as the man made his way down the carpeted hall and pushed through two double doors. Now inside, she took a closer look at the room. A large bookcase stood against one of the nicely wallpapered walls. A desk sat in the middle of the room, a fake fireplace brightly burning behind it. She noticed a large portrait hanging over the fireplace. The portrait was of a woman. She had long, black hair and a veil covering her face. She wore a long, black dress that reached the floor. GG noticed something white behind the woman's back. Where those wings? She suddenly felt fear rise up inside her.
"Sorry to keep you waiting." a voice called out.
GG jumped in surprise, almost forgetting that she was invisible.
"No worries. I know you're a busy man." the blue suited man stood up from the chair he was sitting in. "So what was it you wanted to talk to me about, Aiden?"
Aiden walked behind the desk and faced the fireplace. He looked up at the portrait and smiled as he held his arms behind his back. "We've gotten a lot of new recruits over the past few months. Zera is very pleased."
"That's good to hear."
"They've been working hard. I'm actually quite proud. Like a father would feel for his children."
The blue suited man nodded.
"I was hoping you could take care of the graduation ceremony." He finally turned to face him.
"Me?" he asked, startled.
Aiden smiled. GG noticed how young he looked. He must've been her age if not a few years older. There was something about the way he carried himself. He was poised, confident. He also talked with a soft voice that captured her ears.
"Yes, you. I need to keep recruiting and have no time to deal with the ceremony."
The man's eyes widened, "Does this mean I can see Zera?"
Aiden's face fell for the first time, "Why would you even ask that? You know only I get to see her."
"But, I just figured-"
"You figured wrong!" he yelled, slamming his hands against the desk.
GG winced.
The man looked at him in fear.
Aiden cleared his throat and let out a sigh before a large smile formed on his face again. "So, will you do it?"
The man slowly nodded.
"Great!" he exclaimed, clapping his hands. "Zera will be most pleased with you."
A phone rang out, echoing throughout the room. Aiden reached into his jacket pocket and answered, "Hello?"
Someone on the other line began to talk.
"Already?" Aiden asked.
GG floated down next to him, trying to listen in on the conversation. She looked up and realized how close her face was to his. She noticed his green eyes.
"Yes. He just entered the building." a man's voice replied.
"Alright. Let's give him about a half hour to relax before we bring him up. We don't want anyone to get suspicious." he said.
GG was startled when his eyes turned to look in her direction. She stared back, sure he couldn't see her. A small smile crept up his face before he hung up and shoved his phone back in his pocket.
"Who's here?" the blue suited man asked.
"Rodriguez."
"The cop?"
"Yeah." He turned back around to face the large portrait.
GG quietly phased through the wall and into the ballroom. The cop was her next target. Telepathically, she began to talk.
I need you guys to find a cop.
Harper bumped into a lady next to her, startled by the voice in her head. "What? What's going on?"
"You heard your conscience too?" Blue asked, standing in a line that lead to who knows where.
"Blue? Why can I hear you?"
I made it so we can communicate telepathically. Calm down.
"GG? Where have you been?" Harper asked.
Getting information. I need you to find a cop named Rodriguez.
"What's he wearing?" Blue asked.
I don't know.
"I give up then."
Blue! I need you to look!
"This is impossible. It's like trying to find a needle in haystack." Harper wined.
"Never mind. I found him." Blue commented.
Where?
"Table 12. He's the cop."
GG looked. Blue was right. He was in a police uniform.
Harper. Go talk to him.
"What? Why me?"
Because we both know that Blue isn't the best communicator.
"What do I say?"
Flirt with him. Try to get info or something.
Harper nervously headed over to table 12 and spotted the police officer. He was a heavyset man with a large mustache. She hesitantly approached him. "Hi."
"Well helllllo." He smiled, eyeing her up-and-down. "If I would've known such beautiful women come to these events I would have changed out of my work clothes."
Harper smiled, not knowing what else to do.
"Sit on his lap." Blue commented.
No! We don't want this to get any weirder.
"Caress his face and call him daddy."
This isn't one of your dirty magazines! Stop!
Harper tried to ignore the bantering going on inside her head. "Do you come to these events often?"
"This is my first time. I was invited, actually."
"Invited? By who?" she asked, taking the seat next to him.
He scooted closer and lightly caressed her bare leg. " An organization of sorts"
What a creep!
Harper tried not to throw up in her mouth as she heard Blue laughing. "I was invited by an organization as well." she lied.
"Really? Was it this one?" Rodriguez pulled out a small matchbox from his front shirt pocket and showed the symbol.
Harper heard GG take in a sharp breath. No one spoke.
"No. I was invited by a modeling agency"
Rodriguez nodded. "I believe that. Your body is bangin'."
She stood up suddenly. "I should go. I need to get back to my agent."
"Leaving so soon? Can I at least get a name and number?"
"The name is Cassie, and trust me, I'll be seeing you later." she winked before scurrying off.
Blue met her by the front door and they walked out to the hearse. "That was the ending line from the short story 'All Smuts go to Heaven'. How did you know it?"
Harper walked faster. "I might have read it." she said, feeling embarrassed.
"And you get mad at me for reading such things." she chuckled.
"It had a good storyline okay!"
"Riiight."
Hopping into the car, GG sat quietly behind the steering wheel.
"Are you okay?" Blue asked.
"I don't know. I just can't believe he had the same matchbox."
"What should we do now?" asked Harper.
"We need more information about the organization. I think we should go see the cop tomorrow and get more answers."
     GG started the car and drove off as Harper continued to complain about the cop. From the hotel window, a black figure stared out. Watching the girls drive away into the night.