Chapter 21

The next week, everything changed. Louis and I.....I didn't know where we stood.

We had so many moments were we were so close.... then we argued and argued.
My feelings for Louis weren't going away and it made it hard to live with Louis, knowing we were nothing special to each other.
I got really squirmy and I couldn't stay in the same room as Louis and I knew he felt the tension too after our very-very-close pool kiss.
But my decision was made when I heard the phone call.
Louis was in his room on the phone and the washing had to be done.
I had the basket and headed into Louis room, stopping short in the doorway when I heard my name in the conversation.
Louis was on the balcony and I could just hear him.
He's back muscles were tensed as he leant against the railing.
"I don't know what to tell Amelie. I just don't want to be in this relationship anymore. How do I tell her it's not what I want? I'm looking for something else?"
My heart stopped and my breathing became shallow.
So he was sick of us being a 'couple'.
"It's too hard being together. We both know it. We don't feel the same way......I'll make Tony do it. Truth would hurt to much,"
sighed Louis, running his hands through his hair.
I crept back out, dropping the washing basket and crawling into bed.
It was nearly 11 pm and I stared at the ceiling, phone tossing in hands.
I fell asleep that night, stewing over my feelings for Louis.
Tony was coming over with the boys once again in the morning for album details so I had to apologize and call our relationship off.
It had been nearly 6 months.
We managed to live together for a short amount of time and we got closer but my feelings came out and there was nothing I could do with them because I know Louis didn't feel the same way.
I was up before Louis, just before 10 and I packed my things, taking them out to my car which was now back in Louis driveway.
I crept back inside, praying that Tony would arrive before Louis woke up.
Thankfully, he did.
I opened the door, trying to be cheerful.
We said our brief hello's and I lead him into the kitchen to make him some coffee.
As I was pouring it, I stopped , looking up at Tony who was none other than busy on his phone.
"I'm sorry about the other day. You know, me blowing up at you. I was angry and sad and you just happened to be my victim,"
I smiled apologetically, Tony looking up.
"It was my fault,"
said Tony gruffly.
"No it wasn't,"
I said shaking my head as I handed him his coffee.
"Let's just forget it?"
He suggested and I nodded. We were quiet before I put down my cup.
"Tony, I want out of this relationship,"
I blurted.
Tiny looked surprised.
"Why, it's all so good!"
he said, paying more attention.
"It's too hard. Louis and I've started to fight even more. We've become too close,"
I said and hey, it was the truth.
Tony swallowed his coffee.
"Shouldn't that be a good thing? You being close? That's what your parents wanted at the start,"
Tony said and I sighed.
"I know but, I can't handle it anymore...."
I knew I wasn't looking convincing even though I was being truthful in a way.
I wanted out because I loved Louis and it was getting too much being so close.
Not because I hated him or disliked him too much.
Though, that was why he wanted this relationship over.
"And the hate is too much after that video,"
I trailed, adding to my reason.
That seemed good and true again.
I had seen some of the stuff the girl's were saying about me.
It wasn't exactly nice but I wasn't looking at it.
"Fine. We promised you wouldn't have to date for long. It's been several months.
Next few days it will be announced. Does Louis know?"
he asked and I looked away.
"I see,"
Tony coughed.
"Tony. Please tell Louis it was your decision. That I wasn't needed anymore? It will be easier, more mutual,"
I pleaded.
Tony pondered on it before nodding.
"That's a big lie because management were hoping you'd get together. For real,"
he chuckled. I think he expected me too as well so I laughed. That would've been nice.
"Amelie. Now. I know you said no before but payment?"
said Tony pulling out a fat checkbook.
I instantly shook my head.
As much as I'd love to be paid because it was managements idea to get us together and I agreed, but not to the part where I fell in love with Louis,
I know you can't buy love though and I did it for Louis sake.
"No. I said it before. For Louis,"
Tony raised his eyebrows but nodded, putting the book away.
"Will you tell Louis that you decided it was time for us to breakup?"
I pleaded, watching Tony's face.
"Amelie, shouldn't Louis know the truth?"
he said.
"Sometimes the truth hurts too much,"
I said quietly, clearing my throat.
"I'll go before Louis wakes up,"
I murmered, taking the last of my things and disappearing out the door.

 ♡

That night, I was back in the apartment I shared with Ari and Ruby, staring at the ceiling.
Louis had tried calling a few times but I didn't answer and turned off the phone completely.
I had to clear my head.
Everything went back to normal pretty quickly.
I fell into the normal routine like before seeing Louis  and discussing our 'relationship' though I felt like a zombie, doing the same thing everyday.
Over and Over.
My name became old news.
There were suspicions all over the media but management wasn't confirming anything yet.
I don't know why. 
Dinner was scheduled for the Tomlinson and Reeve's families on Sunday night and I was trying to think of an excuse not to go.
But Ari and Ruby had practically pushed me out the door.
It was a somewhat eerie dinner.
Louis and I sat next to each other as the pop star turned up late.
Everyone chatted though it was one voice quieter with Noah resting.
Louis and I didn't say one word.
He looked amazing though, coming straight from a photo shoot.
His tie was loose and white short undone.
I wanted to rinse my brain out.
The thoughts I had for Louis were not reciprocated and I knew I shouldn't feel that way.
We kept glancing at each other, mumbling a sorry every time our legs or hands touched.
Other than that, no words between us.
What could we say?
I wished we would go back to fighting.
It was more comfortable.
I went home that night and met Ari and Ruby at a club.
They thought I needed to get out and I knew they were right.
Clear my head of Louis. 
I was having a drink with the girls when Ruby was tapped on the shoulder and she squealed, throwing herself at this blonde haired blue eyed man.
They started talking rapidly, laughing and giggling when Ruby remembered Ari and I's existence.
"This is my cousin Layton!"
she cried over the music, Layton grinning at us.
"Lovely to meet you,"
he yelled, he had a strong sexy American accent.
Ruby introduced us and Layton gave me a wink before going to talk to Ruby outside.
Ari and I kept clubbing till Ruby came back in and told us to come outside with her and Layton.
We all sat talking, Layton was visiting for study and wanted to surprise Ruby.
Apparently that were very close when they were younger.
Ari and Ruby drifted but I stayed and talked to Layton outside.
He was so....down to earth.
He had a cigarette as we spoke and I think that was the only downside to his persona.
He seemed so sweet and  he took my mind off Mr Tomlinson just for a few minutes.
When Ari and Ruby came back, I was too engrossed in the conversation to notice.
And guess what?
Before I left, Layton asked me out!
"Uh, Amelie, I'd like to get to know you more. How does dinner sound?"
he asked, scratching the back of his neck and his eyelids fluttering.
"That'd be nice,"
I said, blushing from head to toe.
We exchanged numbers and Ari and Ruby squealed. But I couldn't help but think of Louis.