Chapter 8

It was Monday night, I was dead tired and all I wanted to do was rest.  I sat with my feet on our coffee table, flicking tv channels.  Ari was in the kitchen making dinner while Ruby and I chatted aimlessly.  I was flipping channels when the screen popped up with Louis' face. I didn't even glance twice.

  "Oh go back!" cried Ruby, yanking the remote off me and flipping through channels again.

  When she found the channel I groaned, covering my face with a pillow when my figure appeared, holding hands with Louis at the shops.

  "Ari! Amelie's on T.V!" called Ruby and we soon head the clomp of Ari's slippers as she ran in the room with her hair tied back and hands sticky.

  "Pause the damn thing and wait for me," she grumbled, running into the bathroom.

I assume dinner wasn't going well. She wasn't the best cook and she got frustrated pretty easy.  I glared at the screen, Ari scooting on the couch next to me when she came back.  Ruby shot me a wink as she pressed play. 

"This is the interview they had this morning which made you two official!" she said, wiggling her eyebrows.

  I scowled, Ari shushing us both.  I payed more attention, wanting to hear what was said about me.  "So Louis, there had been rumors about this girl Amelie Reeves being your girlfriend," stated the man, clearing his throat.

  Louis looked calm while if it was me I would've been sweating bullets.

  "That's her," he grinned, a blush creeping in his cheeks.  Why couldn't I pull that off? He was a good actor, I'd give him that.

  "Aw," cooed Ari.  I just watched the screen, trying not to laugh.

  "How'd you meet the lucky lady?" said the female co-host, obviously interested in Louis.

"We've been...close friends for a long time but we've been dating for about seven months" he said.

  I wonder if Tony told him to say that. We did a good job of hiding a relationship for that long.  I would have cracked by now.  I could tell Niall was about to burst into laughter, face tinted red as he and the boys shared secretive glances.

  "Do you boys like her? Think she's good for Louis?" asked the man, as of he knew something was up. 

That did it, all the boys snickered and laughed, looking away.

  Zayn managed to collect himself with a few breathes, the hosts giving the boys weird looks.  "Uh..she's really sweet. Good for Louis," Zayn nodded, Harry bursting into laughter, looking away.  "Did she ask you out or..." trailed the woman. 

Now this I was interested in.

  "What's he going to say?" breathed Ruby, biting her nails.

  I shook my head at their interest.

  "Actually..." Louis had a mischievous grin on that I knew only too well. 

"I found a book of hers while our families had dinner once. It had my name written all over it. I would've thought it was her sisters but she only has brothers," he chuckled, all the boys laughing at the real joke, the hosts unaware.

  I was going to kill him.

  "He's in deep shit," mumbled Ari to Ruby, both holding back the giggles.

  I covered my face with my hands, groaning.

  "Everyone will see this!" I cried, the girls both getting up. 

"Least they'll know you love him!" sung Ari, going back to the kitchen.

  The interview finished with no other word about me and I just laid there as Ruby sat across from me, reading a new book.  When the fire alarms started to go off, we both ran into the kitchen, Ari looking all hot and flustered.  I grabbed a chair and switched them all off, Ruby opening windows to get rid of the smoke.

  "What was it?" I asked, poking at the burnt remains of dinner in the pan. 

"Stir Fry," she said sadly.

  "How did you ruin that?" asked Ruby. 

Ari just frowned, emptying the black ash substance into the waste bin.  I headed to the phone, looking for the right number in the phone book.  I sighed, waving the phone at the two girls who had started cleaning Ari's fiasco of a kitchen. 

"I'll call for a pizza,"

 ♡

  "Lovely to meet you," said Saffron, waving as she walked out of the room. She was our latest client and wanted to redesign her whole living room.  She had just dropped off the floor layout and measurements as well as photographs of the current design.  Ruby was re-drawing measurements onto a grid, Ari was sketching some ideas based on the pictures and I was looking online for furniture based on a low budget.  I was so concentrated on my computer screen, Ari was practically yelling in my ear to catch my attention.

"The phone!??" she said, pointing to the landline sitting in the corner of my desk.  The receptionist would've answered it first, than laying it off to one of us.  I shrugged sheepishly, answering the phone.  " Amelie Reeves speaking," I said, chewing on the end of my pen.

  "My name's Louise and I need my car lot redecorated," said a high pitched voice on the other end.  "Car lot?" I echoed, making sure I heard right.

  I had my calls note pad waiting to be filled.  Ari looked up, raising an eyebrow but Ruby was too occupied by her work.

  "Mhm. I want lots of glitter and sparkles," said the voice, not sounding the same.

  My eyes narrowed at my desk as I figured out what was annoying me.

  "I'm working Louis, go prank call someone else,"  I heard the boys all howl in laughter, snickering.  "I can't believe you fell for that," said Louis.

  "I didn't. You could've thought of something more believable and a more original name," I scoffed.  "He had you fooled!" said one of the boys though I couldn't tell who.

  "I have work to do so bye," I said hanging up on the boys

.  I wondered what they actually did during the day. Anything productive? That's debatable.

  "Car lot?" said Ruby, breaking away from her desk and walking to the door.

  "He has a weird mind," I muttered.

  "In a hot body," coughed Ari, winking at me. 

I ignored her, calling out to Ruby who had gone to the front office where the receptionist Victoria sat. "Can you get me a water please?" I called as Ruby walked back in with three bottles.

  "Life savio-" I said, cutting off when the phone started to ring.

  I picked it up, following the same routine as normal.

  "Amelie-" Louis said. 

"Lou this is my work phone. You are not to call me here. How did you even get this number?" I said, mouthing thank you to Ruby who tossed me a cold bottle.

  "Tony wants us to meet with him for lunch tomorrow. I'll pick you up from work at 11," And then he hung up.

  I groaned, more quality boyfriend time.

  "Can you girl's cover for me tomorrow at lunch? I have to go out with my boyfriend," I sighed, tapping my nails on the desk.

  "Sure," said Ruby, Ari nodding.

  "What's so bad about Louis?" asked Ari, chewing on some gum.

  "Everything," I mumbled.