Chapter 24 - Part 2 of 2

Chapter 24 – Part 2 of 2

I had been waiting for today for over a week now.  Emily had cancelled my last appointment and pushed it a bit further.  Sitting in the waiting room, my heart was pounding in my chest and I was so nervous that I couldn't keep my hands from moving.

When I finally saw her face coming towards the waiting room, I stood up before she even said my name.

"Just give me two minutes." She said to me.

I nodded and sat back down irritated.  It didn't happen often that I was anxious to be sitting in the chair in front of her.  When she finally came back I waited.

"Come on in Amanda." She said smiling.

I smiled politely and walked quickly towards her office.  I took my usual chair after I put my purse and my bag down.  I grabbed a water bottle from my bag and put it on the table next to me.

When my eyes went to hers, she was already waiting for me to begin so I went straight to the point.

"How do you know if you're in love?" I asked.

I knew I surprised her when her head went back a little and her eyes got bigger.

"Wow.  Okay...didn't expect that." She said.

"Sorry.  Hi.  How are you?" I asked, remembering my manners.

She laughed a bit, "I didn't mean that, your question caught me off guard.  I haven't seen you in awhile...  So, are you in love?" She asked.

"I hate when you answer a question with a question." I told her, the same answer she had told me many times before.

"Everyone is different.  I mean, when they are in love.  Some have butterflies, they feel on cloud nine...that they could do anything...that they are on a 'high'."

"On a high?  Like smoking pot?" I asked her, looking at her curiously.

"No, not like smoking pot, like on a natural high.  Always happy, always smiling, like nothing could ever bring them down."

"Oh." I said, a bit disappointed because I wasn't like that.

"While others it's different.  They just know.  They don't need to question it, they feel it in their gut.  They think or talk about the person and smile automatically, it makes them happy.  They could be bored out of your their mind but still be sitting next to the other person and be completely at ease." She said.

"Okay." I said, probably more to myself.  I don't think I'm any one of those.

"Are you in love Amanda?" She asked.