4. || LEADER TO LEADER

"Oh, you've heard of me? that's great." - Teddy Armstrong.

____________________

THROUGH THE SCOPE

CHAPTER FOUR

LEADER TO LEADER

"Why am I the leader? I know nothing about this kind of thing," Teddy said as she looked back at the many faces that looked up to her. In their eyes, she was already a leader. Teddy was strong, confident and didn't take shit from anyone, but she couldn't see that. She didn't see herself as leader material.

"You're the one everyone looks up to, you're the one everyone goes to when they need advice, you are the leader, we are just making it official," Freddy explained. "Everyone agrees that you are our best bet of surviving this hell, without you, we would all be screwed."

"Even Ol' Merle agree's with these bunch of pussies," Merle Dixon smirked back at her.

Teddy smiled, she was flattered they felt that way, but she was worried she wouldn't be able to live up to their expectations of a good leader, everyone makes mistakes. What if she made one too many and put all their lives at risk.

She already had the weight of many murders on her shoulders from before the outbreak, even though in her eyes they were justified, it didn't make what she did right.

"I don't want to fail you, for all you know I could get you all killed tomorrow. A few months ago I was hated by the majority of America, even though I was doing what the authorities failed at, why would you trust someone like me?" Teddy asked, truly baffled by the notion.

Freddy sighed. "The past is the past; we need to live day to day, thinking about that will just drag us down. You don't even want to know what Merle did before the outbreak."

Merle smirked and stepped up to Teddy. "You saved me Teddy Bear when I thought I was going to die in the middle of that road; you brought me back here not knowing what I was like, what my past was or what I could do. Freddy is right; the past is the past."

Teddy placed her hand on his arm, just above where the stump ended. "Thanks, Merle. I always knew you were a softy," she smirked.

"Well, to be honest, I was hoping my sweet words would get you in my bed," he smirked, making Teddy slap his arm.

"Merle!" She exclaimed. "I thought I saw the nice side of you, you asshole."

He grinned. "Maybe one-day sugar tits, hey if you find me my baby brother," he said raising his eyebrows.

"Well if you told me more about him, maybe I could," Teddy replied rolling her eyes, but once again Merle shut down. He stepped away and slipped to the back of the group.

****

"How far?" Teddy asked as she watched the blur of trees, buildings and biters pass.

Daryl pulled his thumb that he was chewing from his mouth and glanced over at her. "Does it matter?" He growled.

"No, but I don't want to wet myself, I need a pee real bad," she said, looking back over at him.

Daryl grumbled to himself but didn't reply to what she had said.

"Oh come on, I need to pee!" Teddy exclaimed as she wiggled around in the passenger seat.

"Hold it," was Daryl's short reply.

Teddy groaned. "I thought we would get on just fine too," she huffed.