3. || PAYING RESPECT

"They've lost one of their own, they're weak, and they need us more than ever." - Teddy Armstrong.

____________________
THROUGH THE SCOPE
CHAPTER THREE
PAYING RESPECT

"We need to get somewhere safe, take care of your boy," Teddy said as she drove down the long empty road with Alex, Maria his wife and their son in the truck.

"But where, how can anywhere be safe with all these dead people roaming around?" Alex asked as Teddy swerved so she didn't hit yet another biter that traveled the roads.

"I've got a few places in mind, are you with me?" She asked, glancing over at Alex.

Alex looked at his wife and child before looking back at Teddy. He nodded. "I trust you."

Teddy laughed. "Your one of the good guys, I can see it already, but that," she said looking over at him. "That's going to get you killed."

****

"What do you mean?" Teddy asked.

There was a long pause. "The girl, she's dead, they're taking her back to the church I believe," Alex spoke sadly over the radio.

Teddy ran her hands over her face. "I'm on my way." She replied, almost in a whisper before putting the radio down.

She took a deep breath, gathering herself before collecting the items she needed for the long journey ahead.

"You don't need to do that, I can watch over them," Alex said over the radio as Teddy made her way out of the building and towards the boat.

She raised the radio to her mouth. "They've lost one of their own, they're weak, they need us more than ever."

Once finally on dry land again, Teddy took one of the well hidden and guarded vehicles and started her journey.

She knew exactly how the group was feeling over their loss; she had lost many of her own over time. It never got easier to lose another no matter how many times you saw it happen.

She entered the area the group had last been seen she was exhausted from her long drive. Teddy didn't know exactly where she was going, but she had scouted the area before with Alex.

The church the group had been staying at was hidden and couldn't be seen through the trees unless you were directly looking for it.

The radio on the passenger seat had crackled before a voice came to life through the speaker. "Get off the road! Get off the road!" Freddy's voice was full of panic.

Alerted by the radio Teddy looked through the side mirrors, she couldn't see anyone, but did as Freddy said and took the next left down a dirt road and out of sight.

Teddy picked up her radio and held it to her mouth as she heard an engine passed. "What just happened?" she asked.

"The group is leaving the church, the girl has just been buried," Freddy replied. "We're following on."

"Are they all together?" She asked as she started the engine of the car again.

"We believe so," Freddy replied.

Teddy didn't answer and instead she switched her radio off to save battery before continuing her journey to the church. It was a significant risk not knowing if everyone from the group had left.

Although Teddy may have been referred to as a ruthless killer before the world turned to shit, it didn't mean she had a hole in her chest. She still had a heart, and although she didn't know the blonde survivor, she was still going to pay her respects to the girl who tragically lost her life.