Chapter 20:

I woke up in the hospital and squinted, in a daze, from the light flowing in through the window. I lifted my hand above my eyes trying to stop the light from reaching them. It didn’t do much so my eyes were seeing white dots until the hospital gray came into focus.

            “Good, you’re awake,” said a voice and I turned to see Dr Robins with a clipboard in her hands and I presumed she was making notes on my chart or checking something on my chart. Her fringe was covering her forehead and her small framed glasses made her eyes look slightly bigger. Her brown hair was tied up in some sort of bun that allowed the shorter layers to fall out and frame her face.

            “What, what happened?” I asked croakily still looking around the drab hospital room. The curtain had green threads running through it and there were black marks on the walls behind the three or so chairs that sat against it. The chairs were the standard hospital kind. Metal arm rests with a cushioned seat and back. The style never failed to remind me of the nineteen nineties.

            “Well,” then Dr Robins went into a bunch of doctor terms that I didn’t understand.

            “Okay now simplify.”

            “Okay so basically you’re vomiting blood which means the cancer is deteriorating your stomach. We need to get that tumour out of you now. I’ve scheduled you in for an emergency surgery in two hours.”

            “But-“

            “Jade, you need this operation and you need it now.”

I gulped and nodded. “Who, who found me?”

            “A girl named Gemma. She’s been quite hysterical.”

            “Send her in.”

Dr Robins left and a few seconds later Gemma walked in with tears streaming down her face.

            “Don’t ever do that again! I thought you had died!” she cried out and I smiled weakly as she gave me an awkward hug. “What’s happening?”

            “I’m going for surgery in about two hours.”

            “How long is the surgery?”

            "A few hours."

Gemma nodded. “Harry’s in concert. I’ve been trying to get through to him ever since I brought you to the hospital an hour ago.”

            “Did you call my mum?”

            “I don’t have your parents number.” I nodded and held my hand out for her phone she handed it over and I made a call to my mum letting her know of my condition and she promised to fly over immediately.

            “Are you scared?” Gemma asked as soon as I got off the phone with my mum.

            “A little,” I admitted.

            “Don’t be. You’re strong and I have a good feeling about you. I feel like you’re gonna be one of those miracle cases. Your doctor is going to get rid of the cancer and you’ll never get it again and you and Harry will live happily ever after.”

            “Thanks Gemma but,” she cuts me off.

            “No buts. Buts are for sitting!” she said and I giggled at that one.

            “That is the lamest thing I have ever heard.”

            “What about this one: What do you call a can opener that’s broken? A can’t opener.” She grinned goofily and I giggled at how stupid the joke was.