You Don't Have to Protect Me Anymore [one shot]

Start from the beginning

"Bruce," you warned. You never liked him to have alcohol before breakfast. He would never stop drinking it if he started too early.

Your brother sighed. "Nevermind. Guess I'll have tea," he said, pretending to give you a dirty look. You laughed and took a sip out of your cup. As Alfred poured water over the teabag, Bruce yawned. "Any... any, uh, mail come for me today?"

You handed him the stack of mail. He shuffled through it as you finished your tea. You tried to be discrete as you rose to your feet, grabbed your letter, and escaped towards the stairs to read it.

"Wait," Bruce called.

You stopped on the first step. Gulping, you turned around and smiled. "Yeah?"

"What is that?" he asked. You blinked at him. He sighed. "The envelope, ___."

"Oh, this? Oh! Yeah, uh, it's... it's mine," you said nervously. Your fingers brushed through your hair as you thought up an excuse. "It's just a letter from... from a friend. You don't... you don't know him."

Bruce raised his eyebrows. "Him?"

"Her," you corrected quickly.

Bruce stood. "Who is it?" You shook your head. He huffed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "___, you can tell me."

You stared at him for a second. Chewing on your lip, you looked down at the envelope. It would be nice to not sneak around and hide... maybe you should tell. "I... okay. It's from Lex Luthor. I've been dating him for the last six months, Bruce."

He looked angry. "Lex Luthor?" Alfred sighed and hurried out of the foyer. You gulped and nodded. "___, that man is not who he says he is."

"That man makes me happy, Bruce! He treats me better than anyone else I know!" you defended. "Why can't you just accept that I'm with him? That I'm happy?"

"Why couldn't you just tell me?" he asked.

"Because I knew that this would he the reaction I would get," you said. With tears spilling out of your eyes, you spun around and hurried up the stairs. Bruce didn't move as you slammed your bedroom door.

You threw yourself onto your bed and sobbed. Your brother, no matter how much you loved him and he loved you, would never accept the choices you made. He would never support you. In need of some light, you opened the envelope and unfolded the letter.

___,

I know that it was only three days ago that we were together, but I miss you greatly. It feels like I haven't seen you in months. Like, actually seen you. I've been so busy that I didn't get to focus on you as much as I'd like to.

Please meet me at LexCorp on Friday for coffee. I had Mercy cancel my three o'clock for you. I promise that there will be a romantic date soon enough. I just want to see you.

Lex

Wiping your tears, you smiled. The thought of seeing Lex on Friday was enough to keep you going. If you could just avoid your brother until then, you'd be all right.

//

On Friday at exactly two thirty, you rushed down the steps with a pair of black heels in your hand. You grabbed your phone and sent Lex a quick text saying that you were on your way, and then you slipped on your shoes.

"Going to Luthor's?" Bruce asked.

You jumped. He was sitting on the sofa. How didn't you see him? "It's none of your business, Bruce."