16

F A M E

Kamani flicks through the thick packet lazily, pausing on a page closer to the back and focusing on it--eyes squinting as she mouths along to the words printed. She frowns as she continues to read, pressing out a deep exhale. Her hand comes up to rub her forehead tiredly--she was ready to take a nap.

She tosses the packet towards the end of her bed and pulls the covers over her body as she yawns. Closing her eyes, her breathing evens out to a slow rhythm, the events of the day catching up to her.

It seems like she had just fallen asleep when she was awoken later by the sound of someone knocking on the door. Her eyes open and she lays there for a bare moment before moving. Her feet touches the floor and she walks to her shut bedroom door, opening it sluggishly.

In the living room, Kamani picks up the house keys that Anthony's left behind  a couple hours earlier while in the midst of their practice session, and holds it in her hands. She figures it was him at the door coming to check to see if she has them.

She opens the door in the middle of the the knocking, rubbing her hand over her eyes.

"Make sure you have everything you brought over here before you leave. I was resting." She lightly snaps, opening her eyes and scowling.

Anthony smiles in apology and holds out his right hand, wrapping his fingers around the keys she drops in his palms. He walks forward and gives her a big hug, squeezing her while she remains unresponsive.

"Turn that frown upside down. Stressed out does not suit you." He says, poking her in her cheek.

She flicks him in his neck, stepping back. "Yeah, whatever."

"You still want me to come with you tomorrow?"

"No, you're good." She says, moving to shut the door. Anthony places his foot in the crack and frowns at her, tutting.

"I'm coming regardless, so be ready bright and early." He points a finger at her seriously, leaning forward and pecking her cheek.

Scrunching her face up she pushes him back and goes to shut the door again, raising her middle finger in the air. She slams the door in his face.

"Bright and early sunshine!" Anthony shouts through the wood, giving it a smack before his voice was gone.

Kamani ignores him and walks back into her bedroom, flipping on the light since it's gotten progressively darker and picking up her packet that fell on the floor. She stretches, bringing her arms above her head and standing on her tippy toes. She falls on her bed with her arms spread and closes her eyes. She was so tired of looking at that sheet.

Within moments her breathing evens out and she was fast asleep once more.

~

The next morning was a Thursday and it comes faster than she could say the word awake. Her alarm goes off at the time she set it last night, which was ten a.m. and it was ringing loudly in her ear. At the same time she could hear someone at the front door knocking. She has half a mind to ignore both of the disturbances but thinking of all the things she could accomplish today, she was hit with a sense of determination.