You Look Exhausted

The door opened and closed silently, with a small click of the latch being the only sign of an entrance to the apartment. It was a warm night in New York, not typical for the impending fall season, and it had been a particularly long day for one woman in particular. Dropping her keys on the table in the entryway she proceeded to the living area just to her right. There was a commotion in the kitchen to her left, which silenced as her heals clicked on the hardwood, but she paid no attention to it, too tired to really care. 

"Jess, is that you?" a deep voice resonated threw the open space. She plopped down on the couch just as Danny stepped threw the entryway drying his hands on a dish towel. He smiled down at her leaning his weight on the door frame. She bent to one side slipping her heals off her feet, as she sat on the edge of the couch her ankles crossed to the right side of her body and her knees leaned to the left.

"I thought today would never end." she grumbled rubbing her stiff foot in one hand as the other rested on her lap. She had spent the whole day in meetings, running between fittings and apartment bookings. Not to mention she had a last minute dinner meeting that went way over her predicted time. Although she hardly ate, she was too busy signing agreements, flipping threw scripts, and discussing contracts. Her stomach growled and she was reminded how hungry and exhausted she was. "I'll be glad when we start filming this thing."  

Danny stood up straight as the oven timer sounded in the kitchen. "And we'll be in LA?" he asked moving out of the room and across the hall.

"Yeah." Jessica sighed leaning back on the couch. Resting her elbow on the arm and leaving her hips on the edge she massaged the small gap between her eyebrows with her fingertips. The smell of Chicken parmigiana filled her nose and her stomach growled again. She loved that he could cook the most delicious and mouthwatering Italian dishes, and that he made them for her on a regular bases. 

"I made dinner." Danny commented plainly from the other room. Jessica leaned up to rest her forearms on her knees as she looked threw the entryway to the kitchen.

"Oh I'm sorry honey." she cooed. "I didn't even ask how your day went." her hand moved down her leg to rub at her calf. Danny smiled to himself shaking his head at how cute she could be. 

"Stella called." he commented. Jessica adored his daughter, and he knew the news of her call would make her smile. Stella had started school again and that didn't leave her much time to call or contact either one of them. Jessica and Stella had become very good friends in the time that Jessica and Danny had known each other, and she was quite excited when they told her they where going to be together as a couple. Jessica of course wanted Stella's approval before they embarked on anything serious. 

Having children and grandchildren herself she knew how important their approval was. She wanted everyone to feel comfortable with each other and fit together as a family of sorts. Her granddaughters loved Danny and he fit in quite well with them- acting more like a child than an adult most of the time himself- and he enjoyed being with them. He had never really acted shy around them and they knew where they stood with him. She loved that they could play around in the yard together, yet as soon as an argument started up Danny could give  his stern 'Okay that's enough' and both of them backed off without dispute. He could carry them around the house upside down, and then turn around and set in for homework. Her children where just happy that she had found someone to treat her right and make her happy, and that's all Jessica cared about.

"She did?" Jessica exclaimed excitedly as she sat up strait again. "How is she? Is school okay? Did she say anything about the gift I sent her?" he excitement proceeded her as her questions flowed. Danny laughed audibly, loving how much she adored the young girl.

"She is just fine, she hates school, and she loved your gift." he smiled wishing Jess could have been there to talk with her herself. 

"I'm glad, she always says she hates school- I guess that's how we know she is keeping up right- Did she say anything else?" Danny stepped once again into the entryway looking down at Jessica on the couch and smiled.