A Love That Was More Than Love

As the rain poured on a cool New York night the one fifth avenue apartment was virtually silent aside from the television in the living room humming steadily as the sounds of bombshells and screaming women echoed from it. The couch had been placed in front of the t.v and two bodies sat resting their backs against it. Shadows danced along the floor and up the walls in the soft orange hues, brightening and dimming with each scene.

"Take a good look my dear. It's an historic moment you can tell your grandchildren about - how you watched the Old South fall one night." Clark Gable's voice resonated threw the commotion. 'Gone With the Wind' had been playing for a little over an hour and a half, the first act in full climax and only a short wile remained until intermission.

Take out food containers were spread about the floor, casting shadows against the white carpet between the two people. One of them focused entirely on the film being played in front of her. Almost as if she was hypnotized by it all together. Her blonde hair curtaining her face on either side as she steadily scooped noodles into her mouth with a pair of chopsticks. The white box in her hand resting in front of her, about a foot above her crossed legs. She was dressed comfortably in a pair of black leggings and a white t-shirt, her bare feet completing her lax state.

The other of the two was transfixed on her rather than the film. He watched the side of her face as he sat no more than two feet away from her. His legs outstretched in front of him and crossed at the ankles. His worn blue jeans, and t- shirt visible every now and then when a bright light shown from the screen.

The woman was so transfixed by the story laid out in front of her that she paid little to no attention to the man to her right. She blocked him out almost entirely and was clueless to his admiring stare. The two sat in silence their positions unchanged for the better part of the film and they seen no reason to change now. The woman enjoying her view and the man his.

***

I couldn't help but stare into the dazzling hazel eyes hidden behind her carefully placed mascara. She glanced over at me and I quickly looked away; my heart aching as soon as I had. I cleared my throat trying to play it off. I was totally paying attention to the movie. My eyes danced across the screen trying to make sense out of the images, nothing was sparking any interest. It was just, all her.

After a few moments of staring into the screen, with nothing to really watch. I had no clue what was going on here. My heart sank as I noticing the silence between us grow painfully thick with tension, mostly from myself. I glanced back at her figuring it was safe and she had forgotten my looking at her.

She was lost once again in the film and I was lost in her. All on my own I could paint a picture in my mind. If only I was any good at art. I would paint her in blues, water droplets cascading her perfect skin, much like the cold windows in the dark. The difference is her heart, warm and overflowing with love, her stone face, shadowed with beauty and control, her smile, shallow and innocent. Yet beneath it all I see much more, a heart that is broken, a face of stone to hide her pain and longing, but her smile; her smile is true. Her smile would give her away a thousand times over, it displays her true depth, her pure heart , her pure innocence.

As I watched her in her daze I couldn't help my daydreams running rampant threw my head. She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye. Taking a double take she looked back completely at me, her eyebrow raised ever so slightly in confusion.

"Oh did you want this?" she said shoveling another set of noodles into her mouth. A small drop of sauce lingered on her chin. I wanted to smile as my insides exploded with pure love for this beautiful creature in front of me. I shook my head a slight chuckle escaping with my response.