Chapter 9

Sitting in the parking lot of the office, I looked into my visor mirror. Fixing my hair, making it look like I just came back from running simple errands: put my hair up in a messy pony tail, fix my make up a bit (or what was left of it, anyway), and practicing my speech. 

Sorry I didn't go to the meeting. Sorry, I fell asleep after I ate. I am terribly sorry. Sorry. I took a deep breath in and let it out quickly. I can do this. I knew I could. Stepping out, it had looked like everyone was here. Feeling a bit uneasy, I walked slowly. Could I handle what Amy was about to dish out at me? 

I walked in the door to see Allison. She had a glow about her. Her medium brown hair seemed curlier and her cheeks looked flush with happiness. Either she had come back from what I just came back from, or got a raise. "Hey, Allison," I said, leaning over the counter, folding my arms. She wore a simple white tee shirt with a black vest and tight blue jeans. She could always pull off the outfits that I wish that I could. Simply, I was jealous of her. Always was. 

"Hey, you. You are looking fabulous today. What's up?" She typed quickly on her computer and looked to me after she was finished. 

"Nothing. Saw Jack and--" 

"Looks like it," she said cutting me off. Did she know? 

"Anyway, Amy said that she wanted to talk to me, and I am nervous." I switched my weight to my left foot and bit my lip, "Any idea what it's about?" 

"Uhm, no clue. Still, something happened, didn't it?" She had leaned in and I just felt my body temperature rise. 

I kept a straight face for as long as I could as I shook my head, "No," I said long and slow. I couldn't look at her, or else she'd know what was really up. 

"Something did happen!" Guess I can't hide it from her even if I looked away. 

I felt my cheeks flush, remembering his touch, his kiss, and those awful hairy legs of his. Really wish he would at least trim them or something. 

"You are blushing, Emily. Tell me. No, let me guess. Did you kiss?" 

"Isn't that what people who are casually seeing each other do?" I responded, trying to act as cool as I could. But there was no way to hide it. I shook my head and saw her turn her head slightly to the right, squinting her left eye. I sucked slightly on my bottom lip, looking left and low. 

"Oh. My. God. You didn't!" 

I looked straight left, towards the door, then up, then at her, "Maybe," I felt a huge grin on my face grow with a slight squeal. There was no hiding anything from her, and there was never a time where she didn't figured out what was on my mind. 

"You have to tell me about it, later," she said, touching my arm. Her nails scratched me as I looked to them. 

"Did you get your nails done?" 

"Yeah, French. Do you like them?" She flashed me her fingers and wiggled them a bit. They were pretty. Once again, jealous of her. Cleaning girls couldn't have fake nails, for fear of them falling off somewhere in the client's house. 

"I do like them. Very pretty," I said, reaching over, seeing my lanyard. "But I have to see Amy. Hey, is she in a good mood today? I know that some days she's not so happy." 

"Yeah, she's pretty ecstatic today. I saw her with a guy in the parking lot cameras. Gave him a big long hug." 

"Could have been her dad. I know that he's been away for a while, trying to better his life or something." 

"Could be, never know!" 

"Well, I have to go talk to her. Fingers crossed,” after I signed myself back in, I walked out to the hallway and took a left, heading down to her office, which was only a few steps down.