Chapter 5

Realizing that after I had talked to Allison, my next few days were brighter. I started noticing the little things I do when I talked to Jack, as opposed to the other guys. I'd push my knees together and lay my arm flat out on them and tilt my head with a smile. With the others, it was more serious. A strong posture, keeping it professional. Trying my best to hide these feelings I had grown for this guy I never really actually met before. It was a strange feeling, and I didn't know how to process it, but it still felt amazing.

      So did the house. In over a few weeks, I had turned to what looked like a full-out bachelor pad after a football game, into a respectable home. That didn't smell of beer. Everything was neat and tidy, organized, and the smell was refreshing, but not girly.

      I finished packing up my bags, and just stared at them. Do I go home? Should I stay here, and just enjoy the comforts of an actual house, instead of a room with a shared kitchen? I really wanted to be here when Jack came back, just to see his face when he saw me. Would it be happy? Glowing with excitement, like a long distance relationship that had come back together?

      I was still unsure about Jack's motivation. What could he have saw in me that first day? My mind was racing as I just sat down and took a deep breath in. What would my parents say? Go with your gut. But what if my gut didn't know either? What was there to lose, though? I was always welcomed back into the home I was welcomed into when my parents died. Would they think differently if I took Jack up on his offer to stay at his home?

      Fate is defined as the growth of events out of someone's control, or destined to happen. Would I describe what is happening to me as fate, or as karma? If it was karma, then there has to be a negative somewhere in the fine print. Something bad would have to happen, if I got way too in over my head. Or was it just coincidence? Why would all of these things be starting to happen to me? Without my parents by my side?

      Standing up, I took a look around the room once again and smiled. I did fairly good, I think the boys would be proud. I hoped, anyway. It wasn't tough, but it wasn't easy, either. I wondered if they would know if I wore one of Alex's shirts, or if Jack told his mom about me.

      All my thoughts kept going to Jack. Why can't I get him out of my mind? Who was he? Would he be the same person I talked on the phone with? Was he just playing with me? Am I just a pawn in some secret web of lies? A cheap bet? I started getting doubts as I went to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of juice.

      Leaning on the counter, I took a sip, and just closed my eyes, clearing out my mind. It was a peaceful half hour, until I was startled by a loud rustle in the bushes just outside the kitchen window. I almost split my drink all over my shirt, but I had looked out, looking left, right and straight out, to no avail. Must have been dozing off. I walked to the living room door to make sure I had locked it. It was, but it never hurt to double check.

      Just as I was walking away, there came a knock at the door. Do I open it, or do I just let it be? I'm sure if it was important, then they'd say so. Standing still, as if that would make me invisible, I waited. After a few moments of knocking and giggles, I heard a car pull up. What the hell was going on? I didn't dare move.

      About twenty minutes later, I heard chatter and a key slip into the door lock. I quickly ran behind the couch and crouched down. My heart was racing, and I didn't even dare to peak over the couch. What if it was a gang of robbers or rapists? The police? I swear I was innocent, and I didn't do anything wrong.

      Finally, after what seemed like forever, the door opened and all I heard was a cackle and a male saying, "What the fuck was that, bro? Fucking nuts."