Chapter 24

Seeing Alex standing in front of me with fear in his eyes and shaking gave me quite a bit of a shock. He had slight ash on his hands from rubbing it off from his pants, as if he were trying to save some of his items from the flames. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that he was still alive, but he must have had somewhere else to stay. Anywhere but here.

"Hey, Alex. I'm sorry about your house," I said as caring as I could under the news I had just been delivered.

"Emily," he said approaching me, "I am really sorry about the other day. I really should have been a better person and stayed civil. I don't know where my mind has been lately. I'm going to try to better myself so I can actually be able to deserve Allison."

I just shrugged and yawned. I really didn't care. What was done was done, and it wasn't my life. It was theirs. "So what exactly happened?" I asked as I sat down, Jack bringing me some hot cocoa.

"Well, I was cooking dinner, and a lot of emotion got over me. Long story short, I fell asleep, forgetting the stove was on, and I woke up to smoke and flames. Everything in my house is gone. I have to start all over again." Honestly, he kind of deserves it. Maybe not this extreme, but something along these lines for lying to Allison the way that he did.

"Again, I am very sorry that it had happened. Jack's door is always open to you, I'm sure," I took a sip of my hot cocoa and licked off the melted marshmallow from my top lip. “Where was Zack when this all happened?”

“He was with Tay, thankfully. He found out and came over right away. I promise I won't be a burden, Emily. I know I'm not your best of friends right now, but I promise things will change." I nodded and took another drink. I don't believe it at all. But then again, maybe I'm just biased.

"Alex and I are going to go for a mini shopping spree for some new things for him. Is that okay? Did you want to come or--"

"I'll be fine here. I should pick up on my old hobbies while I still can," I said, chuckling.

"Alright, babe. You need anything?"

"No, I think I am okay for right now. When are you guys coming back?"

"A couple hours? Why?"

"Just looking for a time frame, is all." Jack nodded and kissed my lips gently, caressing the side of my cheek.

"You take care of yourself, Emily. Be safe," he said, kissing me again. I kissed him back and smiled, remembering how much I loved his lips on mine.

They had both left and I sat in silence, sipping my cocoa and thinking about last night. Remembering his words and his tears. There was something about his voice trembling that made my heart break in half, wondering if he was ever hurt over having sex with her. I was mostly over it, knowing I had more important things on my plate. Babies, Allison and my health. Would I be able to leave Jack and move on with my life, or would I always love him? They say that you never forget your first love, but I think what they mean is you never forget your first memories of your first love.

Finishing my drink up, I rinsed out the cup and got my painting supplies from the bedroom and set up in the living room. I turned on the TV, listening to the news as I started to sketch out a general outline of three people, two entwined in each other in the distance, one up close, looking off to the side.

After I had a rough sketch of what I wanted to do, I opened up my black paint, dipped the brush in water, dried it off and blackened the tip. I carefully gave every line a little love, being careful to make my lines make a point. The further couple was a bit blurry with dying flowers falling around them. With the girl that was close up, she was crying, holding a rose with it's petals falling, going from a bright red to a dark red. There was nothing really special about the painting in itself, other than this is how I felt on the inside. Dying, knowing what had happened.