LXIV. Seein' Red

-------------------------------------------------------------

"'Cat, wake up," Sideswipe's voice urged while his fingers nudged her side gently. She mumbled unhappily under her breath, attempting to roll away and hide further in her blanket, but it was soon torn from her. He pressed again, "C'mon, you. This is urgent."

With a sigh the redhead turned, rubbing her eyes, "What is it? I didn't get to sleep 'till late last night, and you n' Sunstreaker woke me up with whatever you were doing."

"Sorry, he was being a jerk, but you need to get up. There's been Decepticon sightings."

The redhead shot up and literally flew into his waiting, silver hand. In a matter of seconds she was in her bathroom getting ready, her mind whirling around her bond mate's statement.

It had been so long since the last sighting of any real Decepticon. Of course, with most of their resources geared towards finding human traitors, it wasn't as shocking as it should have been that the Decepticons had gone unnoticed for so long. Still, why were they showing themselves now? Was it more attacks? Was it a new shipment? It was true there had been no signs of Cybertech for some time now, either. Was the calm before the storm finally over? There were just too many questions she didn't know the answer to.

"Figures they show up and want to mess things up as soon as I get back," she grumbled as she emerged from the bathroom and quickly pulled on one of her work uniforms.

"I guess I shouldn't tell you the other part then," Sideswipe hummed as he lifted her up to his shoulders. She frowned at him, using her grip on his cheek armor to lean further out to meet his optics.

"And just what do you mean by that?"

"Umm… that the Decepticons have been sighted in multiple countries around the world?"

Her eyes widened, "Wait—what? In multiple countries? How? There's no way we shouldn't have been able to detect that!"

"That's what Optimus and the others are saying. They're already preparing to send troops out, but we’re not sure we have enough to cover all of them."

She frowned again, "But… we… We have at least thirty Autobots not including you in our roster. How can that not be enough?"

"There's more Decepticons than we realized, and most of the younger 'bots can't take them on their own."

"Shit. Shit, shit shit!" she growled, biting her nail. "How could this happen? Do we already have mechs going out? Where are the 'Cons even attacking?"

"Prime says they're not attacking yet, but he wants to send out the others as a precaution," Sideswipe replied, and his voice held an uneasiness that Catherine shared. The redhead pressed her lips firmly together, her mind whirring even faster.

It wasn't like the Decepticons to just "show up" and not do anything. Something had to be up, but what? And how were there so many? They'd already taken out so many in Egypt—how could there be such large numbers left? It didn't seem possible. It seemed so implausible that she honestly began to think it was some sort of trick. What else could it be? However, deep down, she knew it was no joke, and her inner voice proved true when Sideswipe brought her to the Command center and all three NEST leaders were there, along with countless leaders of other countries on their massive wall screen, all with grim expressions. It made the redhead swallow hard as Sideswipe set her down on the catwalk. He, unfortunately, could not be part of the conversation, but his sympathetic look wished her luck. She took hold of it, held her head high, and joined the General, Commander, and Prime.