LXIII. Only If For a Night

-------------------------------------------------------------

There were very few instances in which Sideswipe was right. He had always been the type to leap in head first before thinking, which normally led to him making some errors—thankfully ones he could overcome and Ratchet could fix later. However, in that moment in which he comforted his bond mate, he was right. Things did manage to get better.

It started barely a few hours after she'd finally calmed down enough to smile a little and for Sideswipe to crack a joke. Her father had come knocking then—Anthony hadn't hesitated to inform their Commander his daughter was distraught—and she managed to make herself presentable. He knew something was wrong with her, of course. He'd been her adoptive father too long to not know, but he also knew she was a young adult and didn't have to tell him. This time, however, she did speak to him, although not about everything. It wasn't really easy for her to explain the whole situation from two years ago to anyone besides her bond mate or best friend, so she simply relayed events that had happened. She also told him she wanted to take a break. A good, long break. Preferably back home. He agreed and noted it was time they all headed to the ranch for a while, anyways. He let her go then, but she didn't settle down right away—there was one more person she needed to talk to.

That person was Optimus. Despite her crazed demeanor earlier, she had not been blind to the fact the Autobot Commander had been concerned about her state of being. There had also been the subtle hints from both her father and Sideswipe that the Prime wanted to see her. So she went, and he was happy to finally speak with her. He was careful, at first, but soon slipped into a relaxed manner, and she told him everything—her reasons; what happened two years ago; everything. While Optimus had not endured what she had, he knew the same intensity of pain and understood. He also immediately agreed to her request for time off, and, surprisingly, suggested Sunstreaker go as well. Although Catherine thought it wasn't the best idea, she agreed to it. The fact Ironhide and Chromia would be joining them for the first week helped. Her children, however, would only be able to come later—after they'd helped on one last mission. It was after that she left, but not before he told her he was happy she finally spoke to him, and that he would be here to talk to if she needed him—they all would.

Catherine left his office feeling infinitely better, and she was able to go with her father and Sideswipe to join her teammates where she managed to find some peace of mind. When that ended, sorrow did attempt to return and some of it was able to take hold, but her bond mate was there and she was able to sleep soundly that night and the four other nights she spent at both Diego Garcia and Washington D.C. before she and the others could leave for home.

When Catherine first stepped out of Sideswipe's interior onto the dirt-surface of the ranch's drive way, it was like a weight had been lifted and she happily swung Annabelle around while Sarah embraced her husband. The little imp she called a sister was handed over to their father next while the redhead took her turn wrapping her arms around the blonde-haired woman, and was even happier to have her adoptive mother tug her inside for lunch. Their Autobot companions on the other hand, took to exploring the land and keeping themselves busy.

Most of the time at the farm was spent that way; Catherine interacting with her family more than she had in years, and also time with her bond mate, their Weapons Specialist and his bond mate, too. She hadn't realized it, but it had been a very long time since she'd really talked with the two Autobots, and she missed it. Ironhide was still terrible at hiding his soft-sparked interior beneath his hard armor when Annabelle or Chromia were involved, and the turquoise-armored femme was always happy to coddle the little girl, spoiling her senseless. Even more than that, though, they served as a source of reassurance for Catherine and Sideswipe, whose bond was akin to the one the two warriors shared. It was comforting and eased the pain—even if only a little— and they found solace with their companionship.