[7] Messing With Fire

"Nah, we just grew up together." James says as Myles runs a hand through his best friend's hair fondly to mess it up, like he is a little dog.

This is weird..." I state as I watch the two that should be siblings and the two that actually are but don't seem like it at all.

"Tell me about it." Zeke rolls his eyes as he stands up beside me. "You guys want to go down to the river?" He asks.

I look up at him and am almost blinded by the sun stabbing my eyes out. "The river?" I blink.

"Oh my god, you've never been!" Zeke shouts. "We're definitely going now."

He leads the way towards the running water at the end of the field. The whole outing started when Mace invited Rebecca to join in with the guys and I followed along too. Baz wasn't too happy about it, and Dillon was off with his girlfriend. Other than that though, everyone was pretty pleased that we came along. As we were in a double free period, we decided to sneak out into the countryside surrounding college but I didn't expect that I would actually get wet or dirty in any way. It's lucky I'm only wearing an old pair of shorts and a tank top because I had art today, otherwise I would have completely ruined my clothes.

"Who wants to go first?" Zeke asks as he holds up a weak looking rope swing.

I shuffle back, trying to hide amongst the vast population of stinking teenage boys inhabiting the field.

"I elect Bella." Mace cheers as he looks at a scared looking Rebecca.

"N-no..." She mumbles.

"Okay... I elect Bitch." He states and looks at me, amused.

"Fine." I say defiantly. "But you're going last."

The rest of the group 'ooooh' and laugh that Mace will have to go last. The rope will be weakest for him, and it will be so funny when he falls in.

I walk forward and take the rope from Zeke who smirks. "You know how to do it?" He asks menacingly.

I decide not to trust whatever guidance he would have given me. "You bet." I smile.

I turn towards the rest of the group and do a short salute before throwing myself onto the rope swing. The rope is rough under my skin and cuts into my fingers, but I hold on with all my might (not that I have much). It swings higher than I expected and I manage to jump into the water just in time. Everyone whoops and cheers when I surface.

I then watch Zeke pull his top off- which makes me almost drown because oh my god- and swing into the river. He causes such a big splash that water gets caught in my throat. I start violently choking and as soon as Zeke surfaces and notices my strange antics for air, he goes over and holds me up in the water, to let me breath normally again. I cough a bit more until the strange taste of disgusting salt water leaves my mouth.

"You okay?" Zeke asks worriedly. He is still gripping my waist to keep me steady in the water and stop me from drowning. Although sparks are pinging around where he's touching me, I nod and let my body flop onto him. My arms are shaking and grip around Zeke's neck like a vice. He's my life ring and I refuse to let go.

"She's alright." He alerts the rest of the group who were obviously worried. I notice that James has already dived into the river to help me. He comes up to Zeke and tries to lift me off of him.

"It's okay..." He soothes quietly as Zeke reluctantly lets go of me. I shiver and James carries me to the edge of the river.

He sits me down on a rock sticking out of the sour water and hands me a black shirt. His emergency rescue wasn't really needed, but I don't complain. I shrug on the shirt but don't button it, and  it hangs to below my shorts like a dress. I also notice that it is Zeke's, with a band logo sprawled across the front.