Chapter 15

We jump as the door behind us snaps open.

"Day!" a voice hisses from behind.

We instantly wheel around, expecting the worst.

Metias.

I relax, but Mom and John nearly have a panic attack. "Who the hell are you?" John snaps, pulling Mom and I away from Metias. He picks up the pistol from the ground.

I wrath away from John's grip, and yank the pistol out of his hand.

"Relax, John. This is Captain Metias Iparis. He helped me rescue you guys," I tell them.

"Yeah, the introduction can wait. We gotta get the hell out of here now, if you want to live," he snaps, sounding urgent. Then his expression changes as his gaze catches Eden's blood soaked lifeless body.

He rushes to Eden, checks his pulse, and sullenly nods at us. "I'm sorry." He gently lifts him up into his arms.

He checks his watch, and then puts on a serious face again. "You have half a minute left to get out. Let's go," he states, ushering us out of the room. We start running, although I still can't get over with Eden's death. "I've cleared the escape route for all of you. Tess is waiting for you outside."

Then we are silent until we actually get out of the building. Tess is waiting for us outside. Her gaze lands on Eden too, and tells me that she's sorry. She seems to be lost a little too, just like the rest of us.

"This is all I can do for you right now," he says, grabbing the backpacks that were hidden behind a bush. He hands one for each of us. "My suggestion, Day, is that you get out of this country. Things are gonna get bad down here. Go to the Colonies. Go to Canada. Go to Mexico. But do not, I repeat, DO NOT stay in the Republic if you want to live your life." He stops talking for a few seconds, looking down at Eden. "I'll give him a burial. I promise, Day. But you can't take his body with you on your journey."

I know that's true. But the least I can do is give him a burial, not leave him into a stranger's hand. Well, Metias IS a stranger to Eden.

"Okay," I mutter, knowing that I can't counter his logic.

Metias nods, and locks eyes with each one of us. "It was a pleasure meeting you. Stay alert, stay safe. Good luck, and may God bless you."

"Thanks," I reply, and look around. I can hear commotions in distance. "I should get going now, right?"

"You should."

"Then...good luck to you too. Take care of Eden," I smile sadly.

"I will," he replies. He takes a step back, snaps to attention, and gives me a quick salute.

Then he turns briskly on his heels, walking away with Eden wrapped around in his arms.

I turn to face Mom, John and Tess.

"Time to go," I say.