Chapter 8

I can't ignore Metias's warning. He's right, and the best thing for me to do right now is to get away from the city for a while, for the sake of my, and my family's safety. I thought about that for a while. I even discussed it with Tess, which is something I don't do very often.

Tess was a little surprised that I associated with a Republic soldier, but she did agree with Metias's advice. She's been telling me to leave the city since the day Eden got the plague - or the day of that inspection.

But I would have left a long time ago, if it weren't for the rest of my family. I can't possibly  leave them alone here. Although Mom and Eden don't know I'm still alive, John does. And I've been getting money they need, but don't - or can't - have because of the Republic's so rigged.

If I stop now, when Eden's sick so Mom and John can't go to work, there is no doubt they  won't be able to - Eden won't be able to - survive for long.

I can't leave. Not now, not ever. Not alone.

And despite his warning, I desperately need money. Eden needs the cure, and obviously I can't raid the hospital again. I bet those damn Republic soldiers are guarding the hospital with their lives.

I mean, think of the Republic's iron discipline. A word from their commander, and they'd kill themselves to secure those damn cure or whatever.

My brain is definitely occupied with worries, thinking how the hell I'd get Eden's cure. Maybe there is nothing I can do about this. Maybe, just maybe, what if the Republic is purposely giving him the plague? Then there really isn't anything I can do...

When my thoughts reach to the point where I suspect the Republic, I realize once again how much I hate the Republic unconsciously. I wasn't even thinking of the Republic when this thought occured to me.

Well, I guess they do deserve this hate.

I snap out of the swarm of thoughts as a loud shout rings my ears. I hurry to the place where the sound came from, and find a large group of slum sector people gathered up, forming a large circle, Republic notes in their hands.

Skiz fight.

It's as if a streak of light is shining through a crack in my hazed mind. If I just bet on a fighter who'd win...I can get enough money.

Money for Eden's cure, my family...and for myself and I.

I sprint back to our temporary shelter - the broken down apartment room. The people on the street don't even pay attention to me. It's the chance. Not even that street police are here.

"Tess!"

She looks taken aback by my sudden appearance. She gives me a questioning glance.

"Skiz fight. Wanna go?" I ask, grinning. "You know, some free money."

She seems to be considering that offer a bit - she's always cautious. She's probably thinking of the chance of us being caught while watching the fight.

"Okay," she finally replies back.

------

Kaede, the bar girl I saw the other day keeps winning. She's done a handful matches, and although she's bruised in her arms, she hasn't lost a single match. As if they were weightless feathers, they fell in front of her fists.

I can't help but grin. The fight's exciting and all, but I'm getting my money. The amount I am holding now is almost a double from what I had before.

She finishes with her last opponent, and shouts for a challenger.

I look out curiously, wanting to see the guy who is about to fight. A girl stumbles into the circle, pushed by the crowd. Kaede looks at her, utterly interested, as if she wants to kill her right away.

Tess.

I almost scream out loud. My mind goes completely blank. Tess doens't stand a chance here. She'll definitely lose, and in the worst case, get killed.

The crowd roars, encourging the fight. I run toward Tess, still thinking nothing but the way to get her out of this damn mess.

And then a girl with brown hair steps in front of Tess.

"Doesn't seem like a fair fight," she says. Kaede takes her gaze off Tess, and moves on to see the new girl. Tess manages to slip away from the scene.

People start giving in their bets, and I hold up two fingers, going for Kaede. I appreciate the girl's selflessness, and I'm sure there's a reason why she stepped up, but her skills are unproven, while I know Kaede can fight.

But as soon as the girl holds her combat position, I know I made a mistake.

The fight begins.

Kaede strikes lika a bull, and the girl strikes like a viper.

------

After making sure the girl is safe and sound, Tess and I take off to our so-called apartment. She'll be find there. She'll live.

Tess wanted me to take her with us and treat her stab wound for a few days, but I really can't afford to have another mouth to eat, and another person to watch out for. Yeah, she did get hurt, saving Tess. She wouldn't have been stabbed by Kaede during the fight - well she did manage to break her arm after the stab - , if she let Tess fend for herself, and I really do appreciate what she has done for us, but I can't do anything more for her.

Saving her from the angry crowd. That was all I could do.

I mean, I don't even have money for myself now, let alone my family, or the girl. I've cursed myself countless times for relying on the Skiz fight. I should've found a safer way to get money.

If I don't get the money soon, I can't get Eden's cure. I doubt they'll even be able to get enough food without my additional money.

Then the worst thought occurs to me: Eden might actually die of the plague.