Chapter 11

They will find me in no time. It won't be long until they create a matching facial feature. My real face would be released publicly, and before I know it, I'll  be in the very same interrogation room I saw the man get beaten up.

For my safety, it would be smart to run away.

But then again, there'e Tess and there's my family. There is little chance - or none at all - the Republic won't find my family once they know who I really am.

The boy who is supposed to be dead.

It won't be hard for them to find out that I am Daniel Alton Wing. All they have to do is run the facial recognition system. And by then, it won't matter what I tell them - they'll get their hands on my family to humiliate and abuse me.

I am so preoccupied that I don't - can't - even listen to half of the thing Metias says.

"Day!" he hisses, snapping his fingers. I jerk out of my thoughts and look at him, dumbfounded.

"Sorry, what?"

"Did you hear what I said?"

"No," I answer. "I'm too preoccupied right now."

"I understand that," he sighs a little, and takes off the bag from his shoulders."Here, take this," he says, handing the backpack to me.

I frown, opening the bag. Metias stops me by snatching it away from me.

"Not right now. At least not here. You always have to watch your back, there are - "

"Fine. Then tell me what this is about," I say, cutting him.

He raises an eyebrow. "And I will once you stop cutting my words, kid. I - "

He did not just call me kid. "Don't call me kid," I snap at him. "I'm my parents' kid. Not yours."

He looks at me, slightly amused. Only then does it occur to me that I just pushed him away. Him, Metias, the one who might be the key to my survival in this world. I bite my lower lip. "Sorry, I didn't mean to say that," I mumble. "I'm kinda stressed out right now. Too much's going on in my life right now and I don't know what to do."

"It's okay," he replies, giving the backpack back to me. "Open it up when you are SURE no one is watching you. Then do what I told you before. You ignored my warning before, and don't get me wrong, I understand why and I'm perfectly fine with your choice. But I will tell you this: it's live or die now."

He waits for a moment, letting the words sink into me.

"GO," he hisses. He turns around briskly on his heels in a precise military manner, and marches away from me, not turning back once.

--------------------

Money, dried food, a fake ID, and disguise equipments.

100,000 Republic notes. Fricking 100,000 notes. I can do ANYTHING with this money. Anything I want, including buying Eden's cure.

I can save some of the food, and give the rest it to John.

Fake ID...apparently I'm Kyle Dayly now, 16 years old, and attend Highland University. Brunette hair with hazel eyes.

I don't tell Tess anything about this. If she finds about this, she'll practically force me to leave, and I don't want that. I'm not gonna leave her here alone. Soon or later, if my identity goes public, Tess will be back on the Republic's grid - and that's not a good thing, duh.

I'm not leaving.

At least not until I know that my family is safely protected from the Republic.

--------------------

I smile at satisfaction as I looked at the white bottle with a X and a line across painted on top of it.

Eden'll be fine now. All I have to is go back home, wrap it up, and drop it off at the backyard for John to pick it up. Then all will be fine. Everything will be fine. I just have to go back home -

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

A siren. A high-pitched siren that is only used at the time of the government emergency. Coming from...two military issued vehicles.

My heart drops, and my eyes go wide.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. SOMEONE TELL ME THIS IS A NIGHTMARE.

The vehicles...

they're heading to my house.