Chapter 1

A/N

This chapter is basically a summary of first few chapters of Legend. So feel free to skip this and the next chapter and move onto Ch.3, which is a chapter that's actually worth reading.

Thanks!

----------

I'm supposed to be dead. 

According to the Republic's data, I am dead. Or so they think - obviously, I am not dead.

The JumboTrons are flashing today's news, but it won't be long until they all cycle out and project that goddy WANTED sign that has been on there for who knows how long. Five years. Ever since I failed my Trial and almost died in the hospital morgue, and escaped and decided to make the Republic pay for it.

Surely enough, the WANTED sign comes on. This time, it is with a picture of a young boy - probably around my age, 15 - with black hair and glasses. I sneer at the picture - they've already used that one before - and then out of habit, glance at the street police, making sure they don't notice me. Not that I really care. They are talking amongst themselves, not paying attention to my direction at all. 

Rarely anyone pays attention to the WANTED sign anymore. 200000 Republic notes for information leading to capture. Sure, as if they can catch me. They don't even know my face, let alone my actual name. 

The Pledge of Allegiance comes on, blaring out from the JumboTrons, and we all stop from what we are doing. Even I stop walking. They salute toward Denver, where the goddy Elector Primo is living, and recite the pledge. The street police finally watches us, making sure we all say the pledge. 

I don't bother doing it. Not after what the Republic has done to me. 

The pledge ends, and the life resumes. I continue walking down the sidewalk, making my way back to the broken-down apartment where Tess is waiting for me. 

---

Tess instantly gives me a worried look as I enter the broken-down temporary-shelter of ours. 

"What took you so long?" she asks.

"Couldn't find any food," I reply. Tess nods.

"It's okay. We still got enough notes to get us through for a few more days. Any news?"

I shake my head. "No. Nothing interesting. Some gem sector kid, my age, got inducted to a City Patrol. I think it's the same girl we heard about three years ago, when she was admitted to Drake U. Rich people, you know. I bet her parents spent a fortune."

Tess silently nods. She doesn't say much when I start complaining about the Republic. I think she's gotten used to it by now.

"Oh, yeah. Don't forget the WANTED sign," I add, rolling my eyes. 

She flinches a little at the mention of the word WANTED. 

"You know, you should be more careful when you are out like that," Tess says warily. I just shrug. "By the way, they've started."

She points at the window, to the street where my family's house is located. The City Patrol is emerging from a house, marking their door with a X. So. Another family down, is it?

 From up here, I can see my family's house quite clearly, when their windows are open. Mom's talking with John, but Eden's nowhere in sight. 

I carefully pick up a package from the ground. I'll leave this goggle and the food bundle at the back door, after the plague inspection is done. John's birthday gift. And the celebration when they pass the inspection.

I wait and watch as the Patrol makes their way toward our house slowly. It's taking forever.

I just want to get this over with as quickly as possible.