Chapter Seven

Ground Zero

Chapter Seven

___________________________________________

Was running towards a giant blood red wolf who used to be human (wouldn't that make him a werewolf) stupid?

Yes, it was undoubtedly stupid on my part and I had no idea why I wasn't running in the opposite direction, fearing for my life. Especially after witnessing the horrible process it took for Zero to change into a giant wolf.

It was no walk in the park and through a daisy field. It looked like the worst self-inflicted torture imaginable. To have your own body put you through that kind of pain, both mentally and physically is just...

I had no words.

And to see Zero, of all people to go through that kind of change...

He was child-like, and innocent, and awed by the simplest things others wouldn't look twice at. He didn't deserve this torture and he sure as hell didn't deserve to suffer alone. Maybe, that was the reason I was running towards him, not only because in those unique copper eyes of his, I still saw Zero, but because he was an innocent (so, so innocent) who was scared and in pain, and I knew if I was in his position I'd want someone there with me.

I wouldn't want to be alone while I went through what he was going through.

I closed the distance between Zero and myself, and fell to my knees in front of his large red muzzle, just in time to catch him around the neck as his large wolf body crumpled in an exhausted heap. His chin laid over my right shoulder and I heard him exhale a drawn out breath through his black nose.

''I must rest,'' I startled from the sudden voice in my head. It was clear as day and all too familiar with the German accent, only now Zero's voice sounded a lot more mature and deep. ''We'll talk later, Hazel.''

''I've heard him speak like this before,''  I thought, trying to wrack over my brain just where I had heard him speak like this. Exactly like this in my head. ''I just can't remember--''

''You will remember. You just need to...to let yourself.'' Zero's voice was getting weaker and quieter with each word he spoke.

''This is fucking crazy,'' I thought in an internal panic. ''I'm going fucking crazy--''

''Shh...let yourself...remember...'' His voice faded out until all I heard was wind rustling the leaves in the trees.

I inhaled and exhaled a few deep breaths to calm myself down because I was in no position with a giant blood red wolf using my body as a makeshift pillow to have a panic attack or worse, an asthma attack. And having an asthma attack would really not help me in this moment because I didn't have my damn inhaler on me.

In fact, I didn't even know where the fucking thing was and recounting that little life saving fact wasn't helping calm me down.

And I really needed to calm down and keep my brain from jumping from one thought to another and another, and so on and focus my brain around this whole messed up, supernatural, twilight shit storm I've been roped into.

Once I was relatively calm, I tentatively ran my hands over the fur on Zero's neck, feeling the coarse top layer and the soft undercoat. He was ridiculously warm as well, like really, really warm.

It was oddly comforting and familiar and that pissed me off because I didn't have any idea why I found his body heat comforting and familiar. But Zero here, in wolf form said through this weird mind link between us to let myself remember, so what in the world had happened the last few days I've been missing?