Chapter Two

Ground Zero

Chapter Two

___________________________________________

''You're grounded for three months, Hazel.''

With that said, I could hear the sound of my jail cell door slamming shut.

I wanted to protest because three months was a long, long ass time to be grounded for, but I held my tongue, because I knew if I were to argue, Mia would add on another month and three was starting to sound a lot better than four, so I gave a stiff nod in understanding.

Mia continued to stand in the doorway of my bedroom. Her green eyes lingered on me and the disappointment that was etched into her beautiful facial features had me lowering my eyes down to stare at the dark hardwood flooring of the room I've been calling mine for the last decade.

Well, Mimzy, my three year old Saint Bernard that weighed well over two hundred pounds seemed to think my room was also her room which would explain why most of her mangled toys laid littered around my floor and her large gray dog bed sat in place on the floor at the end of my foot board.

Sensing that I clearly I had nothing to say, Mia sighed. ''Get some rest, Hazel.''

''Yeah, okay, and Mia?'' I asked and she paused in the doorway, staring at me expectantly. ''Could you close the door, please?''

She complied and with the door closed, I was left in peace, but not alone. Mimzy was lounging in her dog bed and from the looks of it, she was happily chewing on a large bone. I smirked in her direction before I closed my eyes and inhaled a deep, calming breath, hoping to soothe the sudden ache in my left arm, but that did shit all and nothing.

Whelp, I tried and now I could take an Oxycodone.

I reached out for my blue pill bottle with my right hand and strategically popped the white cap off before I swallowed down one of the many pills dry which wasn't an easy feat and I instantly regretted not going to my bathroom for water, that and because the pill left a nasty taste in my mouth.

I grimaced and placed the recapped pill bottle on my nightstand before I stood to my feet and stalked over to my desk, already missing my Macbook Pro that usually took up residence on the surface of said desk, but now that surface was bare like my nightstand that had once held my iPhone and iPad which had also been confiscated by the parental unit as part of my grounding.

Just when I had gotten them back after getting out of juvie too.

I sighed and took a seat at my desk on the black swivel chair and reached underneath the surface of the desk, feeling the familiar bump that was secured in duct tape. Once I peeled the duct tape back, I held the cheap red flip phone in my hand.

This phone was strictly for business which was why I only had three contacts; Colton, Caleb, and Elijah. I dialed Colton because one, he was the leader and two, he wasn't as temperamental as his younger brother nor as slow and usually stoned as Elijah, and tonight, I really couldn't deal with either Caleb or Elijah, or I'd probably say something I'd regret.

I sat back in my chair, listening to the repetitive ringing before a click was heard.

''If you're calling from your phone, than I am going to assume you got away.'' Came Colton's greeting and I could hear murmuring voices in the background.

I scowled. ''I was shot, you piece of shit.''

''...What the fuck do you mean you were shot?''

My scowl deepened. ''What do you think I mean? I was shot by a bullet.''