A Letter from Father

-=Chapter 13=- -=A Letter from Father=-

-=Kazuki=-
I walked out of the hospital being discharged with my mother, and still holding Nishimura-san's hand. I'm not gonna break her promise. It started to feel colder, winter is coming. I thought about Nishimura-san crying for me yesterday about my father. I don't quite understand why she's crying for me. But, I feel happier that she cares for me. I clutched her hand tight, my heart races as I we walk to my mother's buggy car. We all got in, still holding Nishimura-san's hand. I stare outside of the glass window as my mother started driving the car. I'm glad that I'm still alive because that means I will still be able to see Nishimura-san's warm smile again. When I see her smile, it reminds me of a bright lavender flower saying 'Hello Himura-kun! Let's have fun today!' and it make my heart tense up.
"Where here kids." my mother parks her little buggy car in our apartment parking lot.
We all got out of the light blue car and started walking up the stairs to go to our apartment.
"Easy Himura-kun. You just got out of the hospital." Concerned Nishimura-san.
I turned my head to her and gave her a smile.
"Don't worry, I'm fine. As long you're by my side, and showing me your warm smile, I'm feel a lot better.
"W-What?!" Nishimura-san's face turned red, one hand covers her mouth from embarrassment.
"What do I see here?!" My mom looks very happy, her eyes sparkled as she studies between Nishimura-san and I.
"W-What does that supposed to mean?" Nishimura-san asks.
"Oh... I..." I stopped walking up stairs. I stood there, not realizing what I had said. "I... I-" Out of nowhere, I remembered about the man who tried to kill me. My eyes widened. My hands started to shake, Nishimura-sam lightly tugged my hand, I looked at her light purple eyes. I can see she's worried about me. "Nothing.." I fakely smiled. The three of us walked up stairs to our apartment. I see my sister in the kitchen working on her homework from school today.
"Nii-san (older brother), you okay?" Hitomi asked as she walked to me from the table.
"Yea I'm fine. Nishimura-san?"
"Yes?"
"Um... Can you let go of my hand for now?" I asked.
"Uh.. Sure... Why though?" She let go of my hand slowly.
"Um... Well... I need to go pee..." I said.
"Oh!" Her transparent pale face turn bright red.
I walked to the restroom, I closed the door and locked it. I didn't need to use the restroom, I just... Needed to think. I sat down on the floor, against the wall, and tried to calm myself. I took out my phone from my back pocket, and put it on my memo app. I started taking notes about that guy who apparently murdered Nishimura-san, and my father. He killed my father because apparently my father was treating him like trash, which my father doesn't do that crap. He was a nice man, he helped others. And that man killed Nishimura-san because of me. But why though? This doesn't add up. There's some other reason why he's doing this. But what?
"Nii-san! One of your classmates came by earlier and gave me your homework for the past few days. It's in your room." Hitomi said from the other side of the door.
"Okay. I'll work on it later." I put my phone in my back pocket and got up from the floor. I walked to the sink and turned on the faucet. I stared at the mirror, looking at my reflection. It's like, he's targeting me...

Later that night, I stayed in my room doing my homework on my desk. Voices in my head just runs wild, I couldn't stop thinking about what the man said. I stopped working on my homework, I couldn't concentrate. I just got up from my chair and laid down on my bed, staring at the blank ceiling. I sighed. I'm never gonna find that man... I brought out my phone and scroll through my images on my gallery. I smiled of a picture on my phone when I was with my dad when I was younger. It was a photograph, but I had taken the picture, so I can remember my father's face. I remember I wasn't such a downer like I am now. At that age, I wasn't able to see spirits until that day... When my father was shot. I remember all those good times we used to do, like flying a kite in the park, playing board games, I remember our last Christmas morning together. That's when I got my first bike. Heck, I remembered I didn't know how to ride a bike till my father taught me how. Father... I miss you. Hitomi and mom misses you. I closed my eyes for a while, and did a little prayer. I opened them and scroll again, and saw the picture of that man. My eyes widened when I saw that photo. I remember that I had used my phone to escape from that horror. I sat upright and stared at the man. His hand covered half of his face. Why didn't I see this earlier. I could of shown this to the police when I had the chance. But I don't think they could've helped me that much because of his face is half covered. I looked at right, I see the license plate showing, but some of the letters are blurry, so I can't tell. I need to show this photo to the police.
"Crap! I don't know what to do! Damn it!" I threw my phone across the room, hitting one of my photo's of dad. "Dad!" I ran to the photo, the frame broke, same as the glass. I took out the paper from the broken frame slowly. The picture of dad looks fine. Huh? I see a little paper in the broken frame. What's this? I took out the paper, I opened it and It looks like it's a letter. The handwriting, it's dad's.
Dear Kazuki,
Hello son. How are you? I hope your doing fine. Same goes for your mother and sister. Are you helping them out? If so, thank you for taking my place.
There's something I need to tell you. By the time you are reading this, I will no longer be with you. I knew that one day, I'll die, and make you and the girls suffer. And I'm sorry. I didn't want to tell you that I was being targeted. I don't want you nor the girls to get hurt, or worst... There's a luggage I had kept hidden, you must find it before someone finds it.
The person who has it, he's someone close to me. Please go to him, he will help you, and the family. His name is Yamada, Hiroshi. I drew a map on the back of this letter.
That luggage, you must get it. What's in there, is for you. Kazuki, I love you. Please be careful. I'm sorry for making you do this. And I'm sorry for leaving you. Please, keep this away from your mother and sister.
Love,
Dad

Tears ran down my face, how can my dad knew about this...
"Why dad! Why! Why didn't you go for help? Why! I miss you." I cried quietly. "What's in the luggage that dad has been telling me? And who is this Yamada, Hiroshi? I need to know." I turned to paper over and saw dad's map, it was horribly drawn. I smiled "Of course you drew me a horrible map. Thank you father." I cleared my tears from my face and folded the paper into my pocket. "Father, I won't let you down."
Nishimura-san entered into my room, he saw the frame for my photo is broken.
"Himura-kun, what happened? Get away from there, you'll cut yourself!" She exclaimed.
"Nishimura-san. Wanna come to school with me tomorrow?" I asked

By: Melanie Moreno