Life & Death

-=Chapter 1=- -=Life & Death=-

All you see is kids in different ages playing in the park's playground. I stood there looking at the children playing with their friends. I wanted to play with someone, but I'm too nervous to talk to other children.
"Hello!" said a girl behind me.
I turned around to look at the young girl. She has light brown hair with black eyes.
"H-Hello..." I said nervously.
"Do you want to play with me?" said the girl.
"Y-You sure? Nobody likes playing with me because they think I'm weird.They don't even speak or talk to me..." I looked down sadly.
"I don't see you weird. Come on! Let's go play!" The girl pulled my hand, the two of us started to play and talk to each other.
"Why is that kid talking to himself over there? He's weird. I don't want my kids to talk to that weird kid." The mothers were talking to each other, and started to take their children home.
I listen of what they said. I stopped playing with the girl and watched all the kids leaving the playground.
"What's wrong?" said the girl.
"Why... Why can't they see you? I can see you! I know I'm not talking to myself...How come everybody leaves me, how come everybody don't like talking or playing with me..." Tears started to form in my eyes.
"But I like talking and playing with you!" The girl smiled, trying to make me feel better.
"Yea but..." I sniffed.
"It's okay! I'll always be with you." The girl started to glow and floated up in the air. "Thank you for playing with me."
"No wait!" I try to reach out for her. Tears started running down my face. "No! Don't leave me too! I don't wan't to be alone again!"
"Goodbye." The girl disappeared, her soul turned into white, glowing particles and floated up into the sky.
"No! Wait!"
---------------------------------------
"Wait..." I mumbled.
I woke up in my bedroom, with tears in my face.
"It was a dream.." I wiped my face and got up from my bed. I dressed up into my school uniform, and started to brush my black hair to cover my left side of my face. I don't really like making contact with people at school, so that's why I parted my hair to see in one eye. My name is Kazuki Himura, I'm just a highschool boy who doesn't really have any friends. I don't particularly mind of being an outsider, I've always been one. I walked out of my room and walked to the kitchen where my mother left breakfast for me.
"Hey." said a girl with no emotion in her voice. The girl has long black hair put in a ponytail, her hair is also parted like me.
"What." I answered.
"Mom said she will be coming home late today, she has a late shift, so that means it's your turn to make dinner today."
"Fine." I took a bite out of my toast. This is my little sister Hitomi, she's just a year younger than me, so she goes to middle school. I finished eating and I put in my plate in the sink. I eat my food pretty quick, even though it doesn't look like it.
"I'm going." I said. I walked out of the apartment and walked down the stairs.
"Good Morning Himura-Kun!"
"Good Morning Mrs. Nakano. Busy sweeping?" I asked.
"Yes! My children are visiting me from Tokyo for today!" Mrs. Nakano got all excited.
I smiled.
"That's good. Make sure not to freak them out okay?!"
"Okay!" Mrs. Nakano waved bye to me.
I continued walking to school, people are trying to avoid me, like always. I don't really care about being alone. I just need to study and pass so I can go to college.
"Hehe, no! It's okay, you can keep it! I don't need it!"
"Really? You sure? Thanks!"
I looked at a group of girls trading boyband disks. I looked at the girl with long, light purple hair. The girl with purple hair looked at me, and that surprised me. We stared at each other for at least five seconds, but I continued walking into the school.
"Ah..." said the girl with purple hair.
"Ew! You looked at the freaky kid!" said the girl's friends.
"Freaky?"
"Yea! I heard he talks to himself a lot. And he's always alone." said her friends.
The girl with purple hair thought for a moment and put on a fake smile to her friends.
---------------------------------------
"Okay class! Time for a new seating chart!" said Inoue-sensei.
"Awwww!" The class got up from their seats and walked up to the front.
"Okay, so Kita-san, you sit there."
"Okay!"
"I don't want to sit next to that weird kid." whispered my classmates.
Again with that. Can you just quit it, if you sit next to me, then avoid me, I don't care.
"Himura-kun, you sit over there in the back row next to the window."
I walked to my new seat and looked out in my window.
"Nishimura-san, you sit next to Himura-kun." said the teacher.
"Right!" The girl walked to her seat and sat down.
"Poor Lizzie, she's sitting next to that guy." the people started whispering, pitying this Nishimura person.
"Okay class, now take out your textbooks and go on page 43, and do your work on a different sheet of paper." said Inoue-sensei.
I took out my textbook and went on the page that I was told.
"Hey um, excuse me?" whispered the girl next to me. I turn my head to look at her, she has light, purple hair.
Hey wait, this is the girl I saw earlier today.
"Yea?"
"Can I partner up with you? I left my textbook at home, so can I?"
"S-Sure..."
"Thanks, you saved my life." The girl scooted next to me and we worked out the problems.
---------------------------------------
School ended for the day, I just want to go home and study.
"Hey! Wait! Himura-san!"
"Yea, what is it." I sounded a bit mean.
"Thank you for allowing me to work with you." Nishimura-san smiled.
"N-No problem..." We stood there for a short while. "Hey, are you gonna leave? I don't want people seeing you hanging out with me."
"You don't have to be rude you know! Anyway, are you going home?" Nishimura asked.
"Yea, so what?!" I looked at her with a confused face.
"Since you let me work with you, I would like to give you something in return!"
"No, you don't have to give me anything. Don't waste your money and time for me. I have to go, so see ya." I walked away like nothing happened. I started to walk down the road away from my school and stopped by at a grocery store to buy something for dinner.
---------------------------------------
As I came out from the store from buying what I needed, I see Nishimura-san across the street from where I was. She was at some store looking at some scarfs.
"Let's see... Since fall is around the corner, I should buy Himura-kun a scarf so he could be prepared!" said Nishimura happily.
Is she really going to buy me something? I told her that she doesn't have to. I saw her buying the scarf and was put in a bag by the cashier.
"Thank you! Bye!" She started to cross the street on the crosswalk and from a distance, a car came speeding in.
The car continued speeding, getting closer to Nishimura every second. I froze, I don't know what to do. Why can't I move! Move legs! Nishimura looked up and saw the car coming to her. One second later she got hit. She hit the bumper and as thrown and was slammed onto the ground. The driver kept on driving, it's like the driver didn't care about Nishimura.
"Oh my god! Is she alright?!" said a women.
People came and surrounded the Nishimura-san.
"Someone! Call the ambulance!" said a man.
A man checked the her, blood was all over her body, her clothes ripped.
"This girl is...dead." Another man said sadly.
People cried for her, even though they never had new her.
"Ow! That hurt!" Nishimura-san gets up and rubs her head.
"Nishimura-san?" I said.
"Oh hey, Himura-kun! What are you doing here?" She looks at the crowd. "What's going on over there?" Nishimura walked over to the crowd, she see's her body and blood everywhere. She falls down, and has a terrified face. "I-Is that my...my body?! Am I...dead?!"
"Yes..." I said.
"How! How is this possible! But I'm right here! And how can you see me?" Nishimura looked at her hands, freaking out.
"Remember that people say that I'm weird and that I speak to myself, well I can speak to the dead. Your soul is out of your body, and you cannot go back to your body. I'm sorry. That's how it is..."

By: Melanie Moreno